"Elvenising" my equipment.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Had to find out who she is, well was:

at the age of 71, Grandma Gatewood made a journey that gained nationwide attention. Seeing a "National Geographics" article about the Appalachian Trail, and discovering that at no time no woman had ever hiked its entire length, Grandma Gatewood decided to set out on an adventure.

After making her plans she left Maine on the hike without as much as a word to her family about her plans.

Unfortunately this first try ended abruptly when her glasses were accidentally broken, forcing her to return home.

But finally, in 1958, she successfully hiked the trail all the way from Maine to Georgia, and if that wasn't enough she hiked it again in 1960 and then again in 1963.

As a hiker Grandma Gatewood did not believe in expensive state of the art paraphernalia. She traveled light, toting simply a blanket, plastic sheet, cup, first aid kit, raincoat, and one change of clothes.

Her footgear was also plain, just a plain old pair of tennis shoes.

And there was no freeze dried hiker meals for her. Her hiking diet consisted mainly of dried beef, cheese and nuts, supplemented by wild food she would find along the way.

Proper bushcrafter, she was.

Back to work now..:(

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I wasn't condemning or judging, I don't have enough information to do that anyway.

I was just saying it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I go out into the "wilderness" to enjoy myself and take pictures, sometimes I have to reduce my comfort level to do that, but I just don't see the point, outside an emergency situation, in pushing myself towards dangerous limits.

I leave that to other people who need that kind of thing in their lives.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
I wasn't condemning or judging, I don't have enough information to do that anyway.
I certainly did not mean to imply that you did:) , I am a little "gun shy" of the media and how they operate. It always seems to be in their interest to show just one side of a story, to 'play it' and this forms most peoples opinion on the matter.

I really like your website Wayland and was going to suggest Rainman check it out for ideas, if the Rainman has not already moved on in life from this thread;) The pics on your site are great, the info too but what I think is really cool is that you do your own thing. Everyone should have their own cup of tea and it's probably worth doing a little taste testing every now and then if only to know you're drinking the one that suits.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
what an excellent thread:You_Rock_

to my mind the biggest single question is can you guarantee having a fire every night, not always possible.

if you can have a fire then a thermal kennel or abo-dome will provide you with more weather protection than a big ol' lean-to like the one in ray's colorado episode. it's more of a cold & snow shelter. the long log fire in the leanto will be warmer, but requires more fuel. they all take significant amounts of time to build.

one way of carrying your kennel with you is to use a bog standard plastic survival bag with a small fire at the mouth of it. all you need then is to sort out an insulating bed. granted the survival bag isn't very elven like, but it does fit into a big pocket so you can maintain your "coureur du bois" look. back in the day i used to carry mine in the poachers pocket of my old dpm jacket. no, there won't be any condensation issue with the front wide open for the fire. you could use tarps with a metalised interior if you can find one a decent size. hoodoo did a magazine article that featured a small shelter made from a sportsman's blanket. don't try to over insulate yourself with hats and scarves, because you insulate yourself from the benefit of warmth from the fire.

if you can't have a fire you need a reasonable sleep system, or be prepared to travel at night and sleep in the day when it's warmer, or a combination of the two.

cheers, and.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
According to the reports I have recently read, he did not drink the water 'offered to him' becasue he was dead.
He was refused water right up to that point, it was only after he had collapsed, his breathing had stopped, and his eyes had turned glassy that the instructor and a trainee turned him over and tried to get him to drink.
Water that the instructors were carrying.

What I read said there was lots of water available, and that is why no one else has ever had a problem. What they think happened is he did not drink, and by the time the instructors caught on it was to late. All of the temp related problems are hard to spot unless you know the person well, so this is really dangerous to start with.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Fleece? They make cloaks out of fleece. Horrid notion, won't drape right.

Not so! the 'Suba' is the outerwear of choice when watching over your flocks in a Hungarian winter...

suba2dand2dcifra2dcoated2dsheph.jpg

More here, here and here.

:D

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Not so! the 'Suba' is the outerwear of choice when watching over your flocks in a Hungarian winter...

Sorry, I was thinking about the polyester crap the company above appears to make their cloaks from. A Suba would be ever so much nicer, at least for standing around in the open looking at sheep; I don't think I'd like navigating a dense northern forest wearing one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE