Elk/Moose hunt, 2020 Ed.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Last year I had no luck at all, when it comes to the elk/moose hunt. Either the wrong animal or it took of in the wrong direction. For the first time since I started, I didn't get to shoot. Ah, well...

So, along comes 2020. What could go wrong, really...
Well, from a hunting perspective it wasn't all that bad as it would turn out.

IMG_20201025_184849_109.jpg

Fun, cold and quite messy....or as our dog handler drily put it "Moose hunting is much like parenthood. An instants joy, followed by 18 years of hard work"

Greger

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Great luck!

How old is he? His antlers are not fully developed. Three years?

On very rare occaisions i have seen elk antlers at the Car boot but never been able to afford them. I am tempted.

I want a respectable set of all the GB beasts. (Chinese water deer wont contribute at all, the mean so-and-sos...)

Last time we had Elk was the Mesolithic; does that count as GB?

Reactions: SGL70

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
What does Moose taste like? Or what can you compare it to?

Not a question I get to ask often, but how much moose do you get to process and store and do you make much out of it?

Reactions: SGL70

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Big game such as moose/elk/bison/deer have very little fat marbelling (2g/100g)
in the meat like beef and pork do (8-10g/100g).
A drier taste if overcooked but a slightly stronger and satisfying "umami" meat-taste.
Careful processing is a key to a feast on the table.

What the animal ate this past summer makes a difference, too.
We had a very wet summer, all the forage would have been rapid growth and very lush/juicy.
Makes the meat slightly sweeter if you have other cuts to cook for comparison.

Any closer and I'd offer to trade bison, straight across, with you.

Reactions: SaraR and SGL70

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
@Tengu Three or four years is my guess too. 220 kg meat (and bone)

@slowworm Well, we hunt them after a spring and summer of eating grass and leaves, so there is little difference to grass fed beef, in my mind...Very little fat, though as @Robson Valley says.

This years haul was like 30-35kg...It is normally consumed instead of beef, but i make some sausage (mostly pig, though) and Souvas (lightly cold smoked, salted meat) that I chip when frosen and fry in butter. Delish!

I use a vacuum thingy, but that is a bit overkill...I really don't need the extended storage that vacpac provides...I run out rather quickly...

@Robson Valley Would love to taste Bison! Ever since I was a kid :)

From today...Halloween....IMG_20201101_094933.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE