Electric tyre inflator recommendation, please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Garage tyre pumps are increasing hard to find and I had a wet and miserable time today on the Sainsbury's petrol station forecourt wrestling with an underpowered and inefficient air pump. It would have been easier and quicker to have inflated the tyre by blowing into the valve, but I didn't fancy the road muck on the valve. Also the lady ahead of me in the queue for the pump misunderstood my comment about what a job it was to get a satisfactory blow nowadays.

Up till now I've carried a foot pump that my father left to me in his will but my legs are getting too weak to keep pumping for twenty minutes per tyre nowadays so I decided to buy an electric version. I've just done a search on line but was bewildered by the range available. I'm looking for a cheap, reliable and compact tyre inflator that will plug into the cigar lighter socket of my VW T26 Camper Van and inflate up to at least 50psi.

Any recommendations gratefully received.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I'm not experienced enough to suggest a particular one over any other but I can recommend the digital ones that you can choose the psi to inflate to for auto shut off. Quite handy!

I must admit that in the electric range available nothing seems to last , hoses perish ,poor quality gauges and switches that over
heat because they are over rated.
I keep one In my van toolkit but as you have read I tend not to believe the gauge ,the hose has been replaced and yep the inline switch has been removed , it is kept for emergency's not used daily, for daily use I use an air line and compressor that I have in my workshop.
There just does not seem to be a mid range tyre inflator, there are millions of £15 special available , I think you just have to take a chance . Buyer beware!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I don't think I've ever found a cheap good inflator. For the Landy I need something that sucks more power than you can get through the cigarette lighter socket (in order to pump up the large tyres if I've had to deflate them to get traction) so mine uses crocodile clips directly to the battery. I intend to fit an Anderson connector to the aux battery circuit to make it easier. My last Halfords digital one burnt out pumping the lawn mower tyres!!

If you have large wheels/tyres try and find a pump that quotes the swept air volume.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
If you want a really good 12v one look a the Australian made 4x4 pumps. I can't remember models off the top of my head but some of those are bombproof.

There's also some good quality ones sold in the adventure motorbike market.

As a general tip for the cheaper end of the scale see if you can find one with an actual duty cycle given and a decent warranty

Mine is a cheap job but it's all aluminium with a decent duty cycle and about 10 years old. Think it was less than £20 but it looked well made so I took a chance.
It regularly does pressure changes for off roading landrovers, bikes, and atv's

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
This is the one I currently use:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-RAC900-Compressor-extendable-connector/dp/B000W08QZY

Be aware though that the operation of this kind of pump is slightly different. You run it till the gauge shows over-inflation, switch the pump off, then release air (using the valve on the gauge end) to get the right pressure. To be honest most pumps that claim to be accurate whilst running can only be so because the air flow rate is low.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I have one made by Ring - RAC610. It was fairly cheap but seems well made and has been 100% reliable in the couple of years I've had it. It has more than paid for itself in usual inflations / checks, plus motorcycle tyre inflation, plus getting my AWD out of a flooded field by deflating and reinflating the tyres :)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
This is the one I currently use:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-RAC900-Compressor-extendable-connector/dp/B000W08QZY

Be aware though that the operation of this kind of pump is slightly different. You run it till the gauge shows over-inflation, switch the pump off, then release air (using the valve on the gauge end) to get the right pressure. To be honest most pumps that claim to be accurate whilst running can only be so because the air flow rate is low.

Thats Very similar looking to my old thing

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I have a cheap Tesco one, I have had it for years.

It’s done the job and owes me nothing, although the gauge seems be off nowadays, or maybe the sensors in the car are, I don’t know...

Sent using Tapatalk

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I have one in each car. Different brands, but have one thing in common, they are not accurate.
I callibrated them against a garage/ pro pump, and wrote the adjusttment on a piece of paper I store with each pump.

Yes, petrol stations today have a better selection of food than food stores had in my youth!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I began by finding professional air pressure gauges used in the trucking industry and in racing, one of each. They match.
No guessing any more at all. You get what you pay for and I'm very happy.
Then, hindsight told me that there was not one day in one thousand when I needed to pump up anything, anywhere away from the house.
So, I bought a Campbell Hausefield air compressor. Maybe 2 gallons. Just little but screams like a banshee.
It willl inflate most anything and also drive a brad nailer for fine construction.
If anything, it's been the dang tire on the wheelbarrow that needs air every few months ( yes, I changed the inner tube.)

Reactions: Janne

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
oldtimer
For some reason i don't have an option to start private conversation with you. If you see this and you are interested let me know and I'll send you a VW one to match your camper van.

Reactions: Janne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE