Eggs

Ruvio

Nomad
I've read a few posts on the best ways to transport eggs without them smashing, and as anyone knows, it's always going to be a sod...but i've had an absolute epiphany today.

Now, this is going to sound ridiculous, but in the morning, tap a hole in the top of them, and cook them over the remainder of your campfire. I did this today, about 5 hours ago, on the embers of a dying bbq, and theyre still very hot to the touch.

So there you go for the winter, since they won't smash, perfect handwarmers, and a tasty snack at the end of the day.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I've read a few posts on the best ways to transport eggs without them smashing, and as anyone knows, it's always going to be a sod...but i've had an absolute epiphany today.

Now, this is going to sound ridiculous, but in the morning, tap a hole in the top of them, and cook them over the remainder of your campfire. I did this today, about 5 hours ago, on the embers of a dying bbq, and theyre still very hot to the touch.

So there you go for the winter, since they won't smash, perfect handwarmers, and a tasty snack at the end of the day.

Watch for them exploding whilst cooking though:lmao: :lmao:

eggscookedinembers001.jpg

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Take an uncooked egg into a grassy area, say a playing field, and throw it as high and as far as you can. It will hit the ground - and bounce without breaking. However it _will_ break it it chances to hit a stone or hard bare earth. The grass is enough to prevent it from breaking. I've seen a good cricketer throw vertically an egg to a great height, and it just bounced without breaking!

Jim

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Not sure on this, and I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Can't you boil them for 1 minute so that the albumen's very outer layer cooks so strengthening then against breakage?
On the egg strength front a good game to play with kids and muscle men alike is asking them to crush an egg by trying to crush it between two hands by pressing down from the tip to the base, they can't do it.
GB.

nolightweight

Native
Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
How did you get the eggs to the camp fire without breaking them first though?
Thought this was about transporting RAW eggs.....
Carrying cooked eggs is a doddle.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I just use powdered egg, no problems with transporting and taste great, can't boil but terrific scrambled or added to other ingredients like diced bacon for a filling meal.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I can't really see them smashing if they're kept inside the egg carton and then put into a tupperware box and then maybe just wadded out with newspaper to give a tight fit.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I've never had a problem with carrying raw eggs, Half fill a tupperware box with pre-made bannock place three or four eggs in the middle but not touching. fill the rest of the space with bannock mix. Tape lid shut Never had an egg break, despite normal/rough handling, and long walks in a daysack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE