edit tool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
To the right, just above your post....can you see a white box that says Jump to new, then Watch and that's followed by three wee squares ?
If you can, click on the wee squares, and up will come a list of options.

M

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Thanks both, im not getting the ‘jump to new’ box. On most of my posts its fine but there a couple in my meets thread i need to edit but have not got the 3 squares option, ah well.

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
To the right, just above your post....can you see a white box that says Jump to new, then Watch and that's followed by three wee squares ?
If you can, click on the wee squares, and up will come a list of options.

M
Hi Mary it seems that procedure works on the thread title fine, but some individual posts don't have that option of the 3 dots or squares at the bottom left next to the ‘report’ tab?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hmmm.

Okay; from where I am just now, looking at your post, at the very bottom below your sig line there is a line with Report, Edit, Delete, Spam IP and Warn buttons.

Thing is, I don't know if those are on your post as you view it. I'm on a MacBook Pro laptop just now, and I don't know if you're using a computer or your phone to read.

Can you check please ? and see if those buttons are there for you. If they're not, I'll let Admin know and we'll see if they can suss it out.

M

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Thank you Mary, all i have is from the left, report, 3 dots with a sub menu of edit only. Then still at the bottom on the right the normal like, quote and reply. At the moment there is an edit facility but not on these meet posts.

Attachments

• 695DE576-F9B5-41B3-9867-68942075ABDB.png
    695DE576-F9B5-41B3-9867-68942075ABDB.png
    142.1 KB · Views: 4

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think that's a phone issue, and I'm pretty sure the question has come up before.

I'm going to flag this for Admin, and see if they can suss it out when they get a chance.

In the meantime, if something really is irking you and needs edited, message one of the Mods and we'll nip in and fix it.

M

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The software change caused a few problems with editing older posts. Also the ability to edit seems to be on a timer, I know a few have had trouble marking old sales threads as sold.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh good point.
I hadn't thought of it being an older post.

I've flagged it anyway. We'll see if Admin can clear it up for us.

M

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Two points, the two messages i sent you are fairly recent and as for a phone issue, initially i refreshed and rebooted then went onto both my ipad and laptop, same problem. But thank you anyway.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks @woodspirits

I think the crucial bit though is the date on the post that you wished to edit. Rich is right about there being a time limit on that.
It just makes a mockery of subsequent posts when someone goes back and totally changes or wipes what was written, and we'd had a few instances of deliberate mischief. I think this was the Admin fix on it.

I've asked them anyway, and we'll see what they say.

M

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I've noticed a few times that the edit is on a timer.
Usually when I've spotted my own post has a fat thumb typo and I want to clear it up.
I'm right good at hitting 8 when I mean to hit i and sometimes it looks a bit random.
Also the window for text can often be obscured on this forum in particular so I'm typing blind til I review it.
Thats on a phone by the way.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
@demographic

I think that since more and more people are using their phones to access the forum that it might be something that needs looked at again.

Thing is that the original intention was good, and it was really needed at the time when there was something of a spate of 'holes' appearing in threads. I don't know the answer. I think this one's up to the Boss.

M

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Thanks @woodspirits

I think the crucial bit though is the date on the post that you wished to edit. Rich is right about there being a time limit on that.
It just makes a mockery of subsequent posts when someone goes back and totally changes or wipes what was written, and we'd had a few instances of deliberate mischief. I think this was the Admin fix on it.

I've asked them anyway, and we'll see what they say.

M
Thank you very much for your input and help Mary, maybe admin can have a look.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
@demographic

I think that since more and more people are using their phones to access the forum that it might be something that needs looked at again.

Thing is that the original intention was good, and it was really needed at the time when there was something of a spate of 'holes' appearing in threads. I don't know the answer. I think this one's up to the Boss.

M

Yeah, it can't be easy.
I'm not sure how much difference using a different browser make either.
Accommodating people on many differing platforms must be hard work to get right.
Few years ago and I had a "Proper computer" which was a lot better for forums but that died and like more and more people I'm using a phone nowadays.
It's OK but harder work to make longer posts with decent information and links so my posting style has dumbed down somewhat.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I touch type (with all ten fingers :joyful: ) so you can imagine how I struggled to work on a phone :rolleyes3: I just don't even try now. I managed on the little psion years ago though when I was working away from home, but that did have a qwerty keyboard. I can't work a mouse now though, my last three laptops have all had touch pads. I even find myself trying to get the microwave to do what I want just by drawing on the worktop :redface:
I know folks have their whole lives on their phones, but I like my laptop.
I can hear the screams of, "Luddite!" now :)

Reactions: Broch

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've had a look at all the permissions and used the user permissions analysis tools and there's no obvious reason that you can't edit posts. For a short while I limited it as we had a few people that went on edit sprees that made a lot of things look a mess, but restored it to unlimited for FM's quite a while ago.
It may be connected to the older threads as Nice65 pointed out, these would be pre the move to the current forum software, there shouldn't be a problem with any posts over the last few years though.

There have been some reported issues with phones that don't support the rich text editor the site uses, most phones these days do but the age of the phone could play a part in things not displaying correctly.

There are also 3 different levels of tool bar displays, the smallest one drops off some buttons but looking at that I don't think it's the issue..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE