Edinburgh

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MT606

Nomad
Jan 17, 2013
North of the southern wall.
Are there any interesting antiques,outdoor,bookshops etc in said city center that are hound friendly?

I'm having to be a hobo there for 2 days this week as I've got to sign legal stuff n I'm having to bring da whippet with me. I live in co durham so haven't a scooby do about where is good for wasting my days in the burgh.

tar

M

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Most shops other than Muslim shops should be hound friendly...Muslims have there own beliefs and you just gotta respect them.

As far as stuff to do goes. Hang around Rose street if ye want a reasonable priced pint and food. Hang around the Castle area if ye want a bit of nostalgia, Hang around the Docks and wooded areas around the Castle in the evening if ye want battered and other various nefarious services.:rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Down the Royal Mile to Holyrood Park. It's dog friendly; it's where the locals run with their mutts :) it's a enormous area to wander, takes in everything from the Wells o' Wearie to Arthur's Seat.
Not sure just how happy I'd be wandering it after dark right enough :dunno:

M

MT606

Nomad
Jan 17, 2013
tar for that, nah don't think I'll be bimblin about wooded areas of an evenin, it's bad enough being of anglo saxon decent in daylight init? ;)
I should be back in the safety of the hotel bar in dunbar by then ;)

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Dunbar has it's own history. The Romans used it as a port. Also there is a cracking Iron age fort nearby. They found some fantastic silver treasures on that site. Also, go for a gander in the museums...all free.

MT606

Nomad
Jan 17, 2013
I'd have just spent the day in the museums but non guide/assistance dogs aint allowed in them, yet little brats are....hey ho ;) I'll have a ganders for this fort nr Dunbar cheers stevie.

m

MT606

Nomad
Jan 17, 2013
I didn't get a chance to see the fort site, I see what you mean about the muslim types....Is there a news agents/tat shop not run by'em ? I ran out of phone credit n couldn't find a friendly looking newsagent owner that would let me bring the little mutt in the soddin place....Every street I went along had at least 1 homeless person begging, quite depressing all round really. I did speak to a few, just to be friendly and treat them like a normal member of society not like a leper , loads of people really seemed to go out of their way to look the other way etc.
I was suprised that as many shops did let me bring the hound in tbh, HMV did, obviously all the camping type shops did, waterstones and similar book shops and independants did, boots did (with a bit of a sneering look, till they saw the little hound), games workshop did, a fair few independant antiquey/hand made goods shops did, the snotty looking fecks/hipster types I didn't even bother wasting my time with.....I didn't bother asking cafes or pubs, even though I was gaggin for a pint, after shops that have no food in refused me entry I thought **** it whats the point...... there was alot of bording, plywood fascia stuff being put up at st andys sq and the area to the south of princes st, any ideas? A new memorial to a bear that was adopted/recruited by Polish units is to be officially unveiled 7/11/15, WOJTEK, apparently a 3 striper? lived until the 60's, passing away in Edinburgh zoo, the memorial says.

anyways enough of my ramblings.

m

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Edinburgh is a magnet for the street beggar types as well as street entertainers. You didn't get accosted by the blue painted fellows asking if you wanted your photo taken with them ? the town is a major tourist site, and it's inundated with visitors, and the 'homeless' and the street theatre folks swarm in to make money off them.

Frankly I'm surprised any shop let you in with a dog; it's not normally acceptable these days. Even in the village I live in, dogs are tied up outside. Many shops put out a bowl of fresh water for them, but the dogs do not go into the shop.
We used to be puppy walkers for the Guide Dogs for the Blind, and even the puppies were not very welcome in any shop, even wearing their training harnesses.

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Was always happier with dogs than kids in my shop. Remember one particular "Mumsnet" having a go as I'd asked her kids (nicely) to stop playing with some expensive and dangerous kit. She was wailing on and then had a pop at a passing customer about their dog being allowed in. I pointed out that the dog was a lot more bidable than her ferral children before asking her to leave.
Dogs tend to be better than kids in shops in my mind.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't disagree :) but folks still mostly exclude dogs from premises whereas children are permitted to be 'feral' instead of courteous by too many parents.
Not all, there are an awful lot more civilly behaved children than otherwise :D that it really makes the 'allowed to do exactly as they like' ones seem more offensively cretinous.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE