Economical Light-Weight Wool Pants

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chekmate

Jan 24, 2016
Canada
Hi! Everyone,

I love my wool pants for going into the outdoors. The only problem with the wool pants I have, is they are heavyweight. Great, for the fall and perfect for the winter here in Canada. But they are just too warm for summer use. I've been trying to find a pair of lightweight 6 pocket wool pants for spring and fall. My wife calls me frugal, but actually I'm cheap! :cool: I can't justify spending $ 100.00 US or more for one pair of pants I'm only gonna wear on the weekends.😏

Then I was listening to a Librivox recording of Horace Kepart's Camping and Woodcraft in audiobook on "YouTube". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yue_uo2ciKc&t=2381s

The start of chapter 2 Clothing, Horace Kepart suggests you use an old wool suit. My brain started to work, and I though thrift stores! :wow1:

So this past weekend I went to a couple of thrift stores and found two pairs of 100% wool pants in my size for $ 9.99 Canadian each. Then I found another pair in not as good condition and not my size for $ 4.99 Canadian. Then off to a tailor to find out the cost to install gusseted pockets on each side with button closures, not velcro. The cost was $ 15.00 per pocket. I could have shopped around and gone with velcro to save a little money. But this is still cheaper than purchasing one new pair. So, for the grand total of $ 62.12 with tax, I have two pairs of lightweight 6 pocket wool pants. :dancer:

Now I just need to waterproof them with lanolin.

Keep Your Tinder Dry
Chekmate

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Coincidentally I'm of off to a few charity shops tomorrow in search of a lightweight wool shirt for spring use!

Thanks for brining attention to that audiobook - I'm just listening to it and laughing to myself. The bit about hoarding gear without arousing suspicion was especially funny, orbiting new kit when you already have plenty - It's good to know the outdorsmen of 1906 were just as bad as we are today!

Chekmate

Jan 24, 2016
Canada
Coincidentally I'm of off to a few charity shops tomorrow in search of a lightweight wool shirt for spring use!

Thanks for brining attention to that audiobook - I'm just listening to it and laughing to myself. The bit about hoarding gear without arousing suspicion was especially funny, orbiting new kit when you already have plenty - It's good to know the outdorsmen of 1906 were just as bad as we are today!

Hey! Forest Girl,

It's true! We haven't changed much. I've read Horace Kephart's book a couple of times. But, I've missed a couple of things until I heard the audiobook. Maybe it just didn't register when I read it.:confused:

I purchase a lot of gear from the charity shops. They're a great place to purchase clothing and gear.
Good luck looking for a lightweight wool shirt. Sometimes hard to find.

Keep Your Tinder Dry
Chekmate

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I just got to the bit about knives - discussing how a bowie knife is useless to a woodsman for all but stabbing their grandmother!! The more I listen the more I realise most our bushcraft principles (wool, army surplus and a short 4-5 inch blade) are lifted directly from this book!

I think with old stuff the way they are written with the big blocks of text means they are much more easily digested in audio form.

Chekmate

Jan 24, 2016
Canada
I just got to the bit about knives - discussing how a bowie knife is useless to a woodsman for all but stabbing their grandmother!! The more I listen the more I realise most our bushcraft principles (wool, army surplus and a short 4-5 inch blade) are lifted directly from this book!

I think with old stuff the way they are written with the big blocks of text means they are much more easily digested in audio form.

Hey! Forest Girl,

I must be one of the tenderfoots Kephart talks about. :lmao: My favorite knife is the Condor Hudson Bay it weighs in at 580 grams with a blade length of 26.6 centimeters long, with a total length of 33 centimeters. This is my go to knife! If I have some fine carving that I want to do, then I use my pocket knife or Mora. There have been numerous studies done and most of the natural fibers like wool are better than any of the synthetics!

The main thing is to have FUN! Just get out to the bush or local park and play. Yes! The basic principles of Bushcraft go back to the beginning when us homo sapiens started using tools. Are tools (toys) are just more expensive.

Keep Your Tinder Dry
Chekmate

Chekmate

Jan 24, 2016
Canada
I've been using one pair at least every weekend for the last month and they work great! :dancer:

The last three weekends I've used them while canoeing. After threating the pants with lanolin they don't seem to stay wet for very long. They are very comfortable for all day use. I'll let you know how they hold up after a week canoeing the Yukon River.

Keep Your Tinder Dry
Chekmate

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE