Ebay rod and strikers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
This thread is a continuation of the last thread.
The eBay purchased ferrorod arrived today so I thought I'd put it through its paces with various knife spines and strikers / scrapers.
Firstly I was impressed with the initial scraping it threw hot fat sparks, I made a few feather sticks some with fine curls and some a bit rougher, the carbide tool sharpener worked the best and the Flint was the worst (photo shows the best at the top and worst at the bottom), all the scrapers lit the feather sticks using different techniques but the bushkey , small purpose made carbide striker and Flint failed on the coarser feathers, I think this is due to the lack of grip with a small handle .
I was surprised that my carbon bushtool beat the newer stainless Garberg as it has a very sharp spine.
As an afterthought I did try my esee muilt use firefighting tool but that only worked well by holding the rod upright and scraping down vigorously, then it kicked bottom!
Any questions please ask.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
It's small, it's light and the handle is quite comfortable for a little longer use unlike some neckers with slim or skeleton handles which aren't very good for more than quick or emergency jobs. Fits well in the sheath with a good click and I have no worries about it coming out while upside down. Angle of grind is shallow so it's a cutter not a carver, to get a decent set of small curls for ferrorod lighting it had to go slow, grip hard and be careful, but making fine scrapings is a doddle as the spine is really sharp. Shame it didn't come in orange or florecent green tho, so I could get a matching scout Lmf ferrorod to go with it. Yes I have terrible kit OCD!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
All good to know. I am most impressed by your feather stick skills, they are fantastic.

I agree, the fluffiest I've seen. There's a video by a 'good ole boy' about the differences between misch metal and ferrocerium. I find the great burning globs from the softer material work best for lighting, but aiming them is a bit hit and miss.

[video=youtube_share;XnrOhfry-0o]http://youtu.be/XnrOhfry-0o[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE