Easy sewing machine projects - suggestions please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
I've restored a lovely old singer sewing machine. I'm a complete novice to sewing but I managed to make a few small drawstring stuff bags and a tool roll for drill bits on it. I bought John Fenna's excellent bushcraft projects book but most of the sewing projects are a little too big or complex for me at the moment. I bought some off cuts of various materials and now I am looking for ideas of useful but easy things to make. Any ideas folks?

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
My first project was a bush shirt from one of toddys patterns and a £1blanket from a charity shop, not complicated at all, if you can sew straight and curved lines you can sew any thing

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
How about book covers? Get a cheap notebook and make a removable cover. If you want you could add a pen pocket or an integral bookmark. I keep bugging wifey to make me one in real tree.

Z

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
My first project was a bush shirt from one of toddys patterns and a £1blanket from a charity shop, not complicated at all, if you can sew straight and curved lines you can sew any thing

+1 to this.

It's a straightforward pattern made by someone who knows, readily available and with loads of support if you get stuck.

Ian

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Bush shirts arnt that hard really, I am now on my third, the first was from a £1 acrylic blanket in smurf blue, second made from some vintage tweeed and l lined it, the one I started yesterday is for the winter and made from army blankets

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
thanks again all. Don't do fishing so the rod case is out. Gloves? Whoa that does sound difficult. Might get tempted with the bush shirt eventually though. Like the haversack idea too. Keep 'em coming please.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
My first projects were:

• Stuff sacks for various bits of kit
  • a tarp - big but easy: straight stitching and you get to learn about flat felled seams
  • windproof fleece hats - made them for all my walking mates
  • a windproof gilet
  • a rucksack (here)

Careful - it's addictive!:)

ganstey

Settler
I've just completed my first sewing project - some gaiters. Not the easiest as I chose a very slippery cordura fabric, but if you use a more 'normal' fabric then the process is quite simple. I followed the process given in a YouTube video posted by a guy who made himself some snow gaiters (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqT1YQVolZU). I also found some useful YouTube channels showing sewing basics that helped with things like sewing elastic.

I think my second project will be some stuff bags, once I manage to scavenge some suitable material.

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
My first projects were:

• Stuff sacks for various bits of kit
  • a tarp - big but easy: straight stitching and you get to learn about flat felled seams
  • windproof fleece hats - made them for all my walking mates
  • a windproof gilet
  • a rucksack (here)

Careful - it's addictive!:)

Wow that rucksack is fantastic. Beyond my scope right now but inspirational

I thought about a tarp but wouldn't the material be as expensive as buying one? What would you use and where to get it?

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
I've just completed my first sewing project - some gaiters. Not the easiest as I chose a very slippery cordura fabric, but if you use a more 'normal' fabric then the process is quite simple. I followed the process given in a YouTube video posted by a guy who made himself some snow gaiters (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqT1YQVolZU). I also found some useful YouTube channels showing sewing basics that helped with things like sewing elastic.

I think my second project will be some stuff bags, once I manage to scavenge some suitable material.

Ah, just bought some gaiters

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE