Easy fishing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 11, 2006
brecon
that my freind is totally mad but really cool wonder if its only a certain kind of fish? looked a bit like baramundie (no idea how to spell that ) local trout farm here i come

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Excellent! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I wish I knew what the guy was saying.

Especially good when he gets hit!

Are they jumping around for flies or jumping towards the light (probably artificial moon thing)?

Have some rep!

directdrive

Forager
Oct 22, 2005
USA
Hi, TC: I am a fly fishing junkie. Been at it near forever. A bit of advice, take it for what it is worth. Don't go buying anything super expensive. They will likely try to sell you a rod/reel combo that is out of sight price wise. The combo may be worth every penny but only to an expert caster. Many, many rods and reels on the low end of the price spectrum are not only entirely suitable for a beginner but cast extremely well. I don't know what brands are available in the U.K. but go with a medium fast taper on the rod (you'll work less hard). If you are not fishing in sal****er, just about any single action fly reel will suffice as it is mainly a winch and you won't need a real drag system in it. Your fly line should be a weight forward line matched to your reel or go one line weight heavier. That way it will be easier to "feel" your backcast when you start. Remember that in fly fishing, you are throwing your line, not the fly (which is essentially weightless).
When you've chosen your outfit and line and some backing (dacron) for it in case a fish actually makes a blistering run, you'll be ready to cast. Strip out enough flyline so you have 20 ft. or so out the tip. Grasp the rod grip with the line beneath your hand and lift the rod tip quickly backward. The line will follow the tip. Do not let the tip go too far backwards. When it straightens out behind you, quickly snap the tip forward. The line will follow. Right now, you are not casting but trying to get a "feel" for the line. You should try to develop a tight loop in the end of the line for high line speed. Eventually, you'll get a feel for it. Then you can hold the line in your non-casting hand instead of beneath you casting hand and try releasing the line on the forward stroke. Eventually you'll learn to double haul and really shoot a lot of line on the back and forward strokes. The best thing is to get a bit of personal one on one instruction from an expert. Stick with it and it will all come together. Don't be discouraged at first because it takes a bit of practice to become moderately proficient. I distinctly recall first starting out. What a joke! Now, I regularly cast 80 to 100 ft. without even trying hard. The comment regarding eyewear should be taken to heart. You do not want a fly imbedded in you eyeball! You will eventually imbed one somewhere else in your anatomy. I once sported a "Lefty's Deceiver" in my right ear for hours. I had to wait till lunch to cut it loose as I didn't want to waste time when the bite was hot.....:)

Tight Lines and Ripped Lips!

Bruce

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE