Easter Bunnies....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
SCOUT STYLE :D

As an easter treat gave my precious ones a bunny each...

This is my boy...well versed in the art of skinning now...in fact its all a bit "yesterday"..
easterbunny004copy.jpg

Of course girls love furry bunnies
easterbunny007copy.jpg

yours truely demonstrating
easterbunny010copy.jpg

Serious BBQ
easterbunny016copy.jpg

And not an egg in sight...

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
Breath of fresh air introducing the youngsters to where real food comes from,well done.
I consider myself lucky that i had the same experience.
Soloman.

Scrimmy

Forager
Mar 11, 2008
Whitley Bay
www.freewebs.com
We've done this a few times for our scouts, once we took pictures and the district commissioner dissaproved???? not of taking the picks, just doing the activity. We still continue to do it on camps just without him knowing. Our district has gone to pot. Glad you's had a good time, cheers Cain

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
great pics, I have yet to skin a rabbit and only last saturday could have picked up some. just a bit weiry about any diseases.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
We've done this a few times for our scouts, once we took pictures and the district commissioner dissaproved???? not of taking the picks, just doing the activity. We still continue to do it on camps just without him knowing. Our district has gone to pot. Glad you's had a good time, cheers Cain

You sound a lot like me...I do everything to upset the hierarchy...not intentionally though...just so happens that everything I appear to do...well...just upsets them...;)

And Shewie, they devour the meat...

jabbadahut

Mar 15, 2009
uk
www.8thcolour.co.uk
wish i had seen this this morning, we rehomed a lurcher 3 years ago from a gamekeeper that said "she couldnt catch a rabbit in a phonebox" walking in the field opposite our house this morning off she went and by time we caught up with her she had caught a rabbit. i felt awful for wasteing it as i put it on the side for a fox or badger.
if i had known how to gut and skin a rabbit i would of brought it home as erindoors likes rabbit stew, i am gonna do a search now on how to prepare a rabbit,
what do/can you use the skins for?

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Well done stovie ;) The Scout Movement politicking was one of the reasons I gave it up!
Got fed up with all the H&S/PC b******t. We were specifically told not to teach anything that could be considered inappropriate, including skinning bunnies. Two weeks after that "chat" with the DC I hung up my woggle for good.
More time now with my own family as the SM had 8 years of my life anyway.
I still love the principles and instil them into my kids every day:)

deeps

Forager
Dec 19, 2007
Monmouthshire
Funny how some people get all upset at children and meat preparation. I have generally found that children are really curious about the process and with a bit of help and explanation happy to muck in - both boys and girls. Its only if there is a squeamish adult in the picture that they pick up on it and adopt their opinions.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Great to see children being permitted access to this kind of thing care of the Scout Movement. Those with smaller and less muscular hands will benefit from the Spring crop of bunnies and who's pelts part company in one tug!

Keep up the good work Stovie:You_Rock_

Cheers

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
I do this with my edxplorer scouts anytime we do a wild camp - I always get them to hand me a menu a few weeks before the camp and tell me what 'wild' method of cooking they will use for each meal and get them to use a different cooking method for each meal.

They are always coming up with new things and try to out do each other and research old ways of cooking and food that others may not know or heard of.

Well done for getting them into it that bit younger...

I hate the politics in Scouting - it does my nut in. what yu can do and what you can't do, how you have to do the things you can do in one way and one way only. Ppl constantly watching and commenting on everythin you do because they are secretly jelous or think they can do better.

It's one thing after another all started by the people that actually have no contact with the kids who are at a district or county or HQ level but comment or stick their oar in because they can - They wonder why adults don't want to help and constantly say they need more adult helpers but then they make hard for anyone to be and get involved.

All anyone in scouting wants to do is give the kids the best experience and start to life possible. rant over.... lol

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
if you save 'em up you can make beautiful throw/blankets with the pelts :) I would love to take my boy out doing this stuff, but since relationship break-up, no air-rifle = no bunnies :( think we may have to rectify that situation...

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
cut'n'gut or flick'n'squeal? heh the flick method taught to scouts would surely end up in someone covered in innards! heh
as soon as my son is old enough for cubs he's off there straight away. dunno if they'll teach any of this tho ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE