Easiest Place to Survive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
Where in the world would be the easiest place to survive if you were alone in the wilderness using only natural foods and materials?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Right here - great climate, not too hot or too cold, abundant water, plenty of plants and animals. Most importantly of course, the place that I know well - where useful plants and trees are to be found, where the springs and streams are, where and when the animals run. Local knowledge is what you need to survive. There may be places with better or different resources - but I wouldn't recognise them or be familiar with how or when to find them

Red

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Near a coastal area for food resources and with an easily accessible water source for drinking.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
If we are talking about a period in pre history Id say the Mediterranean. Mild weather loads of seafood. Easy to travel using primitive boats.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Cornwall!
50px-Flag_of_Cornwall.svg.png

Best place in the world to live :) (especially if a geat deal of the population left). Near to coast too, im sure Newquay was the best place in the world to live (1,000 years ago) ;)

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
I will have to go with Texas everything you need. Game Fish Pure water If you
need it or want it it is hear for the taking.
If I had to I could live very well and never leave my own land.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well said Red,

But wouldn't an experienced someone from the colder north also do well in your forest and maybe even find it easier than his native land?

Skills wise - I'm sure they could, but I think in terms of survival, local knowledge is almost as important as generic knowledge. I can offer someone a 50% chance of walking up a deer in a 30 minute slot. A 100% chance of rabbits in a choice of 20 spots spread out over miles. I know where the pheasants and hare live, where the ramsoms and pignuts grow. Of course someone could develop that knowledge but having moved around I know it takes me about three years of tramping the woods to know what local resources are around and where to find them.

Of course recgnising what you see and having the knowledge to harvest it is probably even more important, but the question was "where". For me the "where" is an area I'm intimately familiar with

Red

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I've got to agree with Red on this one. I have good knowledge of my local area which I could use. Put me in a foreign country with plants and animals I don't recognize and I would struggle.

So "MY WHERE" is right here, and I could imagine many people would benefit in the same way. I'm not saying I wouldn't like to try other more exotic parts of the world, countries with warmer or colder climates, countries with more challenging terrain, or just even here in England by the coast, but my easiest place to surivive using just Bushcraft skills would be here, in my local area.

ATB....Stu

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I agree with my local area....I know it better than anywhere, but if I was anywhere else, I would agree that a costal area with fresh water nearby would offer the best chances of survival.....

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
The running theme here seems to be, 'There's no place like home'. That is almost certainly down to Red's earlier point about familiarity.

What if the thread was rephrased to easiest place to survive in which you have never lived?
I'd probably still try to stay temperate, where water, plants, mammals and fish are all fairly easy to come by. Marginally fewer nasty surprises to be had when trying out unfamiliar plants too, thought that may be debated.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I'd like to try here - the climate is similar to Britain but with colder winters and more pine and birch forests.
Aside from that I'm sure I'd do well in Tesco:)

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
it has to be the coast, personally id prefer the scottish west coast, for a start its very clean, i know we have a lot of clean coast but for some reason up there even the air feels nourishing.
If that lottery win comes in thats my destination.
Also scotland has a large amont of forrest and woodland, if you mix the coast and woodland together with a handfull of knowledge i reckon you could survive happily for a life time.
the only thing that would stop you possibly in the day and age is the law.
but i reckon as long as you put back as much as you take in one way or another and your doing no long term harm the law can be stretched.
anyway laws are made by politicians and i cant see tony blair forageing for his breakfast anytime soon.

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
Very good info.

I too might think somewhere by the ocean would be a good choice, always something washing up on shore, edible seaweed, fish, crabs, snails etc.

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
I will have to go with Texas everything you need. Game Fish Pure water If you
need it or want it it is hear for the taking.
If I had to I could live very well and never leave my own land.

Depends on what part of Texas. I'll be traveling back and forth to Houston for the next few months and I don't know if I'll survive it. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE