Earthing hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
Good Afternoon all,

This may be an odd question but has anyone had to earth their hammocks?

I stitched in some loops on my SP jungle bag to I could use it as an under quilt and with me scuffling about I'm generating quite a lot of static, first found this out when I zapped my wife as she handed me a drink, oops.

I've stitched together a couple of conductive strips and pinned it to the bottom of the quilt which seems to help.

Has anyone else had this issue, if so how did you solve it?

Cheers,

Ollie

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Erbswurst

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Do you have a problem with static? I sometimes get it with shopping trollys and car doors but in a lifetime of camping and many years of using hammocks I've never had that problem.
What were you wearing? Synthetics?

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
The only time ive had a problem with static is polyester clothing, paramo in particular. I hate static and it stopped me using quite a few products in the past.

polycotton mix is fine for me, wool merino sometimes but i think there is plastic in some ullfrotte clothing.

I think its a trial and error thing you may need to try some options.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
make sure you dont fart in bed? Probaly a good precaution....
you can get earthing shoes now, I thought maybe earthing hammocks was a new trend
I get static shocks off car doors and fleeces and in my teeth from spoons or forks, but the worst was off screens when I worked as a screen printer, that was like torture at times

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Polyester clothing and cats are also not the best idea...
:)

Yes, Ulfrotte stuff has always a part of plastic in the thread. My impression is that mixed threads aren't a problem, but I wear a lot of cotton.

I sometimes use a cheap Decathlon hammock in combination with a Snugpak Djungle Bag, wearing short cotton underwear in dry conditions and never had a static problem.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
Good Morning All,

I think some context would be handy. I built a wooden hammock stand over the Easter break made from dry C16 wood so I'm assuming what I have is a fully insulated system which sits on a concrete slab. When I move around the hammock it rubs against the underquilt which generates static through the triboelectric effect, I've attached an earthing cord from this to the ground to try and drain the static.

If it was attached to (Comparatively) wet trees it should discharge through them which is why I'm not too concerned about lightning (It'll hit the house first anyway) or earthing in a normal camp.

If people do have an issue getting zapped the new army issue boots do have dissipative soles which can help prevent this.

It looks like not many other people have had this issue so I'll keep a weather eye on it.

Thanks,

Ollie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE