Eartham Wood Chichister

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

yogi

Jul 9, 2008
chichester
I've been walking round Eartham Wood over the last few weeks and i think its just right for my first wild camping trip.I know its owned by the Forestry commission has anybody camped there and is it allowed or is it a matter of just keeping my head down .OR is their any other sites around the chichister area i can go .
Thanks

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I wouldn`t have thought announcing your intentions on a public forum is the best way of keeping your head down :p

I don`t know the area myself but have you made some enquiries to the FC, you never know the warden might turn a blind eye if you get to know him/her.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
And with that in mind, here comes the disclaimer................

BcUK does not condone and does not encourage illegal activities.

Please do not post in such a way that it might be construed that the membership approves of, or engages in such behaviour.

Is there not someway we could put together a discrete listing of sites which are amenable to small numbers of folks having a night or two camping. ?? there are a lot of people who only want a breath of fresh air and would leave no trace, or maybe do some clear up work in return.
I can understand folks, who do own a woodland though, not wanting everyone and their auntie descending on them, because the site was mentioned on a national forum.
Still......

cheers,
Toddy

reddy

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2007
Lancashire
I'm not yet a 'full member' as I don't know what it involves, but I've noticed part of the forum is private/ full members only. Maybe info could be shared/ discussed there? That way the whole world on the internet won't descend on any poor farmer who gave a discreet nod to a couple of bushcrafters as the info is on a private forum not public. Hope that makes sense?!

What does full membership involve btw or shall I start a different thread on that?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think the problem with publicly naming places Mary is that if somebody (from outside) gets that information then decides to trash the place then we are ultimately responsible. Your right though there must be a way we can share our secrets without every tom, dick and harry messing it up for the rest of us.
I suppose when somebody writes up a review of where they`ve been then they can be contacted by PM by those who are interested, other than that I don`t know what we can do ?

I think the best way to pass on that kind of knowledge is probably to be found in old traditional ways of doing it.
When you know someone is genuine - then you can start passing on information, not too much, but enough to get them started.

It does make getting started more difficult, but until a person has shown they are a decent sort who doesn't scorch trees, set peat on fire and leave a trail of litter and other assorted debris behind them it's difficult to give them inside knowledge on good wild camps without risking every scally with a tent showing up and wrecking it.

It's a shame, but I'm not sure I can see any other way.

I say this as someone who is itching to find some suitable woodland too - so don't worry, I'm not just saying this to keep what I've got to myself - so far I have a grand total of nothing! Haha.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I was a student at Chichester.
I went camping once or twice in Eartham woods. Also in the woods/farmland near The Trundle (could watch the Goodwood races from up there).
Personally, I never asked permission. I just did it. But neither did I make myself conspicuous or tell anyone (except the other student who I went with) where I was going.
There were some other woods we went to as well, near to The Earl of March pub in Lavant (which used to be a cracking pub at the time - don't know what it's like now). Can't remember what the woods were called though. But it was in that area.
You will have to make your own decision and act in an appropriate manner.

yogi

Jul 9, 2008
chichester
HI Toddy I fully understand that what I did was wrong so sorry for the post .
I was only trying to find a place to try for a first time .
IT might have sounded flippant but it was only a bit of a clue i was after .Only posted a few times and never joined a forum before . Newboy got it wrong .
I am going on the Arundal meet and didnt want to look a prized prat setting up .

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Don't feel you will look as prat if you find it difficult in setting up. I set up my huge tarp at the last Midlands Meet and had Bernie "I can set my hammock and tarp up in two minutes flat and have a beer on the go!" Garland constantly ripping the mickey as it was taking me so long! It was a new tarp. I'd only set it up a few times before, and i don't have any bungee cord for it yet. Bernie came and gave me a hand though, it's what people do at these meets. get your kit packed and go along, if you're getting stuck then ask for a hand. It's a great way of introducing yourself too!

yogi

Jul 9, 2008
chichester
Thanks durulz I will give them a look .

spamel thanks but now i am wondering what the bungee cord is for.
I was just going to use para cord .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE