Early Pattern Wilkinson Sword Survival Knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
We all know the Wilkinson Sword Type D and Dartmoor knifes.

However does anyone have any info. or pictures on the early pattern Wilky knives.

I'm sure I saw pictures on here or it might have been BB (I've asked there as well).
I have searched, but as yet no luck.

Might have been GrahamS or rappleby2000?

Any info. thankfully received.

Ta
Chris

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Don't think it was me, I've got a type D (rescued from an ejection seat when they were replaced with swiss army knives), but I don't remember posting any photos.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Found the following piccy in "Survival" edited by Len Cacutt... not a lot more info about them in there, apart from the WS survival knife.

wilky-SKs.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Found the following piccy in "Survival" edited by Len Cacutt... not a lot more info about them in there, apart from the WS survival knife.

wilky-SKs.jpg

I remember drooling over that picture as a kid. I sooo wanted the Wilky Survival. Every magazine you picked up back then raved about how great it was. How times change.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I remember a survival knife test in "combat and survival" magazine.
The Type D review said something along the lines of "big and solid, and you can chop a tree down with one if you're not in a hurry"

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I remember a survival knife test in "combat and survival" magazine.
The Type D review said something along the lines of "big and solid, and you can chop a tree down with one if you're not in a hurry"

I still have those mags up in the loft. I should get them down and have a day of nostalgic reading.

bikething

May 31, 2005
I remember drooling over that picture as a kid. I sooo wanted the Wilky Survival. Every magazine you picked up back then raved about how great it was. How times change.
me too.. by the time I could afford one and got round to finding a shop that sold them, it had evolved into the 'Dartmoor' .. so I bought one of those instead..

I did eventually manage to pick up a used WS survival knife a couple of years ago... just for the nostalgia of it :)

could never figure out why a "survival" knife needed a bottle opener though :rolleyes:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
me too.. by the time I could afford one and got round to finding a shop that sold them, it had evolved into the 'Dartmoor' .. so I bought one of those instead..

I did eventually manage to pick up a used WS survival knife a couple of years ago... just for the nostalgia of it :)

Ditto, I did exactly the same thing.

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Don't think it was me, I've got a type D (rescued from an ejection seat when they were replaced with swiss army knives), but I don't remember posting any photos.

Sorry Graham
I remembered from some of you previous posts that you had mentioned your RAF connections and leaped from there:rolleyes:

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland

wilky-SKs.jpg

Bikething,
Superb stuff ( I love the collective knowledge on this Forum:cool:)
Thats the very pic I was looking for.

Does anyone actually know the spec of the knives?
Or even better, has anyonehandled/used one?

As for Combat and Survival Mags, I'm sure a lot of us on here have had (have) a collection of these "excellent":rolleyes:;):D publications:rolleyes:;)

Chris

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Seem to remember reading some where that the second from the top with the brown handle was a Jungle knife.
'tis.

iirc there were two articles in combat and survival magazine following on from one another, firstly "choosing your survival knife" then "using your survival knife". the photos in "choosing your survival knife" still bring me out in a cold sweat, it's like a catalogue of small boys fantasy knifes!

someone asked earlier what use is a bottle opener on a survival knife, the first thing that springs to mind is stripping bark from tree roots, i'm sure there's lots of other uses as well.

cheers

stuart

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Look carefully through your collection and you will see some gear reviews by ME!
Read em? - I wrote for them!

i tried doing that very thing when i heard that you'd written for them, but upon opening issue one i rediscovered the small boy excitment for all things military that i must have left in there, and spent the rest of the day playing "top-trumps" with the APC's! happy days.

we were talking about C&S magazine at northwood last weekend, i've never been sure but i reckon that mr. mears was a contributer at some point, i'm sure that some of the photo's in "survival by raymond mears" originally appeared in the weekly C&S magazine. incidentally, one of the reasons i got a copy of "survival" was the review in the monthly C&S magazine.

cheers

stuart

bikething

May 31, 2005
incidentally, one of the reasons i got a copy of "survival" was the review in the monthly C&S magazine.
I never bought C&S as a magazine - I bought this book, and it's companion volume "Combat" from a discount book shop many years ago. I've since got the impression that the books were in fact a collection of articles from C&S magazine!

IIRC the page that picture was on was between 2 sections titled "choosing your survival knife" and "using your survival knife" .. funny that :confused:

The section on "using your survival knife" featured the WS Survival knife pretty exclusively, and the photos of gralloching a deer contained someone dressed in DPM, with trainers :rolleyes:, and the obligatory square of black gaffa tape over his eyes, who looked rather like a young Ray Mears :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE