dyeing cotton canvas tarp HELP

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I would like to dye a white cotton canvas tarp brown/tan with natural materials if possible

Any suggestions?

Regards

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Tea coffe or onion skins will all give a good tan to mid brown finish.
I have used salt as a mordant - but Toddy is probably the one to ask for a full tutorial!

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
TRy this site, loads of ideas - i pasted the BROWN section for you. - and suggest a water/vinegar solution for fixing.

Plant Fixatives (for plant dyes) 4 parts cold water to 1 part vinegar

LINK

Wild plum root will give a reddish or rusty brown.

- Oak bark will give a tan or oak color.

- Sumac (leaves)

- Walnut (hulls) (deep brown)(wear gloves)

- Tea Bags (light brown)

- Juniper berries

- Coffee grinds

- Acorns (boiled)

- Yellow dock (produces shades of brown on wool)

- Beetroot (Dark Brown With FeSO4)

madelinew

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
Isle of Wight
Banana and carrots leave grey marks behind if baby clothes were anything to go by when my kids were small! And NOTHING would wash it out!

Beetroot is good if you want that sort of colour - not terribly clever if you're going for subtle camoflage tho unless you're hiding against .... nope can't think of anything that colour for you to hide against.

I've only ever used machine dyes for proper dyeing rather than the accidental kind of the kid-based variety.

I'll second the salt for fixing colour. Cooking salt in the large bags works well and I reckon you want about 2 kgs of the stuff for that size tarp.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Set your tarp up like a pyramid, light a small fire beneath it and throw on loads of punky wood. Let the smoke do the colouring. After a few hours the inside will go brown all by itself (Think about how black the tops of Native American tipis go after a while.) Then when it's a shade you are happy with, turn it over and use the brown on the outside. It won't be uniform, but it will look a lot more natural. Most tarps were white to start with and browned with continual use. This is just a natural way to accelerate the process.

Alternatively, you can use ground up black walnut husk. You don't really need a mordant when you use walnut. It does stain skin as well though so wear marigolds.

Eric

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
hate to rain on this (excuse the pun), but dying a ready made tarp may be virtually impossible , especially if it's new. They tend to come with a waterproofing coating on them so the dye won't soak in very well if at all. the smoking idea would certainly work but it would be a coating and not a dyeing, so may come off (it could also destroy the waterproofing agent).

I reckon your best bet would be to buy a tarp of the rigth colour to start with. Try tent, sail or marquee companies, they often sell small bits (what we would call fair tarps) in a variety of colours and thicknesses.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hmmm, lots of interesting information and ideas :)

Cotton is a plant fibres (cellulose) and that makes it awkward to dye using natural materials. It's not that you can't dye it, just not all that easily.

Firstly, is it coated with anything? A waterproofing or fireproofing agent ? 'Cos if it is, you'll have bother getting anything to dye it until that's been removed. Usually for canvas, soap and water and a big scrubbing brush will do. At the size you are talking that's a lot of elbow grease though.

For dyeing I think Eric's idea of smoking it is probably the easiest, though Dave is right too and some will wear off. Don't use birch unless you like tarry cloth.

Cellulose fibres need to be tanned before they are mordanted and then re-tanned and then dyed to do an effective job. The vital bit there is tanned, so any of the tannin rich substancess, be that tea or coffee or tree bark or galls or nuts will work on their own. But, you need not only the dye stuff made into a liquid, but you need a vessel big enough to move your tarp around in to let the dye take evenly.

Might I suggest that you make your own camouflaged dyed tarp ? That way even ness of dye is not important and you could make up various natural dyes and paint them on having first mixed them in a thickener, lilke gelatine or wallpaper or flour paste. It will be incredibly messy, but once the gunk is washed off you will have a coloured tarp. Whether it's the colour you want :rolleyes: ah well, now that's up for debate ;)
However, it will overcome both the need to soak the entire tarp at once *and* any problems about getting the tarp soaked through......which technically you ought not want the cloth to be able to do anyway.

Generally the natural dyes that will work best for this are tea, madder root, walnuts, or some of the imported bark dyes. They need to be tannin rich and in themselves substantive dyes that need no mordants.

Best of luck with it, let us know how you get on ?

cheers,
Toddy

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Nettles are quite effective as a dye. They were used for some military cloth during the second world war.

Soak your cloth in a vinegar fixative before-hand (1 part vinegar to 4 parts cold water) put in cloth and simmer for about an hour.

Boil up your nettles - pop in your cloth and leave (simmer) until desire depth of colour. After a while simmering I might be tempted to leave it overnight to cool and increase the colour further.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE