Dyeing clothes questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hey,

I've got a few bits of clothing (wool, cotton and hessian) I'd like to dye green.

Personally I've never dyed anything before, but have a friend who said he dyed some bits years ago and it turned out quiet well.
He said he added the dye into the washing machein, then once dyed they need some type of 'proofing' to stop the dye from washing out.

One of the items I'd like to dye is a dpm jacket. Is the dye going to be able to cover camo effectively, and what type of dye and 'preserver' should I buy?

Any advise would be appreciated

Cheers
Paul

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hi Taws, have you been looking over my shoulder? I'm thinking of doing exactly the same thing - even the same colour.
The instruction slip that I got with a pack of Dylon, say that it is unlikely to cover DPM, it will change the colours but it won't cover the pattern.
My pack also says that the material and dyeing solution need to be heated to simmering - which might play havoc with the wool becoming felted and shrinking somewhat.
Something that I hadn;t appreciated was the amount of dye needed, it says one pack per every 8 oz of dry material weight - I'd need quite a few packs....

I might have a look at some natural dyes to see what sort of process is involved with those - either way, Toddy will no doubt post an answer soon and I'd trust her advice over mine!

ATB

Ogri the trog

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Just wondered if I bleech the camo first before dyeing, will it degrade the fibers and properties of the material or not?

Wondering if a microfibre towel can be dyed too...?

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
Much depends on the material. Wool requires a different type of dye to cotton - the exact details escape me but I'm sure someone can be more specific.

I have dyed one of those grey and yellow civil defence jackets a rather pleasant green. I bought one of the Dylon 'pre-wash' packs hoping to subdue the tones before dyeing with a regular Dylon wash in colour. Sadly the only thing that lightened up was a draw string so your mileage may vary. As other posters have said, dyeing DPM will not hide the pattern, just alter the colours.

As for fixer the Dylon packs state you need (iirc) around 500g of table salt.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE