Duty FREE Biodeisel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Great News:

The proposals
We are looking to ease the burdens of the biofuels regime on non-commercial producers and on HMRC. It is no longer cost-effective to maintain on the register the steadily growing numbers of very small and often inactive home-based producers, all of whom currently have to register. We therefore wish to introduce a de minimis production level of 2,500 litres per annum below which they do not need to enter premises or submit returns.

Taken from: http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channels...nt&id=HMCE_PROD1_026553&propertyType=document

In an astonishing development that could have a dramatic effect on tax revenue, the government has scrapped duty on 'homebrew' biofuel.
Until June 30, anyone producing any quantity of biofuel had to hold a permit, pay duty of 28.35p per litre and submit returns to HM Revenue and Customs. And if you bought it at the filling station, you would be paying duty of 48.35p per litre.

Now, below a limit of 2500 litres per annum, there is no requirement to submit returns or to pay any duty at all! Biodiesel is the commonest and simplest to produce at home, and given a fuel consumption of 40 miles per gallon, 2500 litres would be sufficient for an annual mileage of 22,000 miles , more than enough for the vast majority of British drivers.

Even with a thirsty car at around 25mpg, it's enough for almost 14,000 miles. And if you 'produce' some for your use and your partner produces some for theirs you double the allowance and, anyway, with no returns being kept, who's going to notice if you go a little over the limit....?

Richard Price, Director of Biofuels Media commented: "The effect of the Government abolishing duty on the first 2,500 litres of home produced biofuel is dramatic. As long as motorists learn how to make biodiesel properly they can really benefit from this new 'Green incentive'. Home produced biodiesel can be made to the same or better standard of equivalent industrially produced biodiesel."

Taken from:

http://www.motorbase.com/top/news/usnDCE69B88-41B2-11DC-8A9B-BF98A6FD4C12.ehtml

I'm going to Tesco's :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
That would seem to be very helpful!! I've just written a reply and mislaid it when I pressed
the wrong button so here we go again :)

Would you repost that information - or a link to this thread - on the other thread
about rising costs of fuel? It would seem to be of interest / relevance to those who'd
posted there about how the rising cost of fuel might put them off going away to the
countryside or, of more immediate concern, about how fuel costs were having a negative
impact on their business.

The price of fuel
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26036

Below is a PDF from the Parliamentary Office of Science & Technology (POST) who
provide short briefing papers on science topics for MPs and other parliamentarian
types.

293-Transport biofuels
http://www.parliament.uk/documents/upload/postpn293.pdf
Four page POSTnote, August 2007
Transport accounts for 25% of the UK's carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions. Low carbon
fuels such as biofuels are expected to play a part in reducing CO2 emissions from the
transport sector. Biofuels are produced from biomass (plant or animal material). They
are renewable and have typically lower lifecycle CO2 emissions than petrol or
diesel. ‘Second generation’ biofuels may offer even lower CO2 emissions, but these
are not yet commercially available. Although biofuels can provide carbon savings,
some groups are concerned about the environmental and socio-economic impacts of
biofuel feedstocks, especially in developing countries. This POSTnote examines the
issues relating to current and future transport biofuels.

More POST publications:
http://www.parliament.uk/parliamentary_offices/post/pubs.cfm

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
it only counts if you are a non comercial producer ie you make your own. If you buy from a pump you will still pay the duty as:
a) it comercial plus there is VAT
b) they will all most certainly make excess of 2500l

You still need to keep ecords to prove you make less than 2500l, buy the other chemicals and the equipment to make the stuff.

Cheaper and easier to invest in a twin tank and pre heater system and run on veg oil.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
is Veg oil straight like that also exempt under this as you not Technically making Bio Deisel ????
i dunno but it one of them stupid things that British LAw is good at doing

If you take a look in on first link, in the first post, it actually says that you can use cooking oil.

My Brother has a Rover 418sld Turbo. He has been running on 30% Tesco value cooking oil since June. He does 60 miles a day six days a week. No problems at all.:)

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Right...I thought that the members that love to dwell on the negative may try and tarnish the absolute facts of this. So I am hopefully going to clarify this for all to enjoy in advance of any doubt.:)

I rang HMRC's help line 0845-010-9000 this morning and spoke with a very knowledgeable young lady, I asked if I could buy Tesco value cooking oil and use it in my deisel car as road fuel. I was told that providing that I do not use more than 2500 litres in any calender year it was perfecly legal. She did advise that I kept all recipts to prove purchased amounts and that would prove acceptable if I was ever questioned over the useage.

If anyone wants to varify this please call the number and ask. Job done.:)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Excellent news, I've refrained fro using it in my Landy because of the hassle factor, I'll be happy to use it now though :D

Those of you that are in the know can you give us some more details of using Veg oil straight and how to make Biofuel, I did look it all up once but it was ages ago.

Thanks for the good news Chopper and thanks for looking into it further to clarify things.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Right...I thought that the members that love to dwell on the negative may try and tarnish the absolute facts of this. So I am hopefully going to clarify this for all to enjoy in advance of any doubt.:)

I rang HMRC's help line 0845-010-9000 this morning and spoke with a very knowledgeable young lady, I asked if I could buy Tesco value cooking oil and use it in my deisel car as road fuel. I was told that providing that I do not use more than 2500 litres in any calender year it was perfecly legal. She did advise that I kept all recipts to prove purchased amounts and that would prove acceptable if I was ever questioned over the useage.

If anyone wants to varify this please call the number and ask. Job done.:)

Nice one chap, please accept my personal rep to you:You_Rock_

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Ok basics out line re: veg oil (please note not biodiesel)

a) modern direct injection diesel engines not like it
b) older indirect injection might be ok depeding on engine, injector pump type and ambient temp
c) Land Rover s don't really like veg oil - they either have Lucas injector pumps or are TDI - OK with twin tank and preheater. You may get away with 50% on long runs in summer but not winter. I have but really its too viscous
d) if you really want to use veg oil invest in a twin tank & pre heat for most cars. Better than damaging injector pump or gumming up pistons

Older Merc engines and some indirect injection Pug/Citeron (1.9 XUD) engines are about the best for just adding veg oil into the 1 tank.

For the 4x4 drivers have a look:

http://forum.difflock.com/viewforum.php?f=16&sid=bb8e7c970074bbe8e53fe6f7652171b2

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Right.

I am running a diesel toyota hiace van at the minute,what do i do in regards to filling up my tank with veggie oil?

Do i mix it with normal diesel?

At what percentage?

Has anyone noticed any adverse effects?

thanks in advance.

I would suggest having a good look on the web, there is a lot of info scatterd around.
And remember it is for PRIVATE use ONLY :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Yep,i privately drive my van to work,where i carryout my private work.

If i get stopped by Labours PC PC's i will just say tell them that i have just comeback from Afghanistan and i don't give a rats **** about the law:D :D

Sounds good to me..ill make a note of that one :)

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I've been running my Pajero on 25% veg oil in with the diesel in my one tank setup since August 1st and have done about 20k kms. It had starting troubles when it got colder, but this was cured with new glow plugs.. On my recent trip to Hungary I did 3500 miles in 2 weeks on about 40% veg oil with no troubles or noticable diffences, even at altitude in Switzerland. I have thinnned the veg oil by leaving it for a week with 10% petrol and previously 5% white spirit, but now I just put straight veg oil in as the cheapest is the 1 litre bottles from Lidls at the mo.

What I do is to get near to when the fuel light comes on. I then fill up with 30 litres of veg oil either on the garage forecourt or around the corner and then fill up to the brim with roughly 50 litres of diesel. This gives me a nice mix ratio.

geoff88

Forager
Jul 14, 2006
SW England
Excellent news, I've refrained fro using it in my Landy because of the hassle factor, I'll be happy to use it now though :D

Those of you that are in the know can you give us some more details of using Veg oil straight and how to make Biofuel, I did look it all up once but it was ages ago.

Thanks for the good news Chopper and thanks for looking into it further to clarify things.

Tony how did you get on with this?
Which engine do you have in your LR?

Geoff

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com

With Landrover DI diesels you must have a twin tank setup I believe as Direct Injection engines won't run veg while cold.
Making biofuel is a real hassle and not as simple as most people might think. Twin tank kits are only about £450 and then you can happily run neat veg oil year round. Which with shopping aorund can be 57p a litre...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE