Dutch ovens & Explorer Scouts - A good idea?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Hi all,

We are considering getting a couple of dutch ovens for out explorer unit, to add another cooking technique and expand their thinking as to what can be cooked over a fire.

Anyone already use dutch ovens with thier group/troop/unit? Do you find the kids use them ok or are they more hassell than its worth?

Rob

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
We do Rob- mostly as owned by leaders actually. Historically we have simply used biscuit tins- each patrol gets one, and whilst they are sorting out their fire for breakfast, one of the patrol makes up some dough/bannock, and it gets put on the fire after breakfast, to be ready for their lunch. It works quite well, but leaders need to check on the progress of the bread as the Explorers would usually have to leave it after breakfast to complete other activities.

The biscuit tins work, but you have to be a little more careful to regulate the temperature due to the thin metal. Cheap though!

Adds a nice fun dimension to things, something a little different to what they are probably used to on camp from their experiences in younger sections.

benjy

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2010
Swindon
I first started using dutch ovens with explorers in 2005 and they've now become a mainstay my camping repetoire.

Sometimes it took a few attempts to master something, but its always worth it. The food we have cooked is pretty incredible compared to what we had when was a venture scout. Its pretty telling to me that all my ex explorers who are now leaders themselves had got dutch ovens for their new troops.

I absolutely love baking fresh bread on camps, and cakes and brownies are always great round the campfire in the evening. Other favourites are steak and ale pie, and of course we cook a roast on Sundays whenever we are on camp. Of course you don't always have to bake in the dutch oven, they make great pots for cooking stews, chillis and currys too and keep the food warm once its off the heat to serve up.

I would definitely recommend dutch oven for your explorers.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
That's pretty much sold it for me thanks chaps.

What sizes do you use? I want to get a couple, as we quite often cater in two groups. I think 4ltr is two small, so I'm looking at either 6 or 8 ltr. I like the idea of the tripod stands you can get to hang them over a fire. I'll not be buying them mind you, as our group has no end of rope pins, and I reckon I can fashion one out of 3 pins easily enough.

Mang

Settler
My son took my copy of the Woodland Ways Dutch oven cookbook to a Scout camp planning meeting and they are borrowing two of mine to do their food which is a main, pud and a cooked breakfast using the upturned lid I believe. Quite chuffed actually.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Thanks Simon,

That has got me wondering now, as they are an awful lot more expensive than the ones availanle from Ronnie Sunshines/ Dutchovens.co.uk

http://www.dutchovens.co.uk/dutch-oven-8ltr.html

Tamarack 8 Qrt, 30.4cm x 12.5cm is £120 - Ronnie Sunshines 29cm x 13cm is £37.00....

I am now wondering about the quality of the above link, and if Tamarack's are the way to go, I'll need to re-think what the unit can afford. I'll post the Q in kit chatter I think.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE