Dutch oven seasoning question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
I have a new Dutch oven, on legs.
now, normally I would stick it on the Rayburn, pump up de volume amd season with oil. But its on legs.
Any advice ? Do I need to build a campfire ?

thanks in advance.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I can't find it at the moment, but the.American Scouting Acc. have a very good section on seasoning.
It's one of those things, part science and part dark art :D you'll get a lot of different answers. I've tried many different ways, some good, some bad. After the initial seasoning though heavy use and no washing up liquid make for a great finnish.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I was amazed at how much oil comes off after the first wipe with the oven on low after 5 mins.

It might not look like much but it will run at higher temps and you get those horrible marks. 250 in the oven for a hour and then leave it in to cool.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You need to leave it in long enough for all the pores to open up and let the oil saturate into them. A new and previously unseasoned piece of CI is like a sponge.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE