Dutch oven help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I've just rescued a Dutch oven its in fairly good nick but does appear to have gone rusty inside and also wanting to be sure it's clean before using it what's best to clean it and how to proceed before it's safe to use??
1df5efed35075b4e77d43d3cbb46ab5f.jpg
67dcba6dea9c2584c0dc32b6ec1587f9.jpg

Sent from somewhere?

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
No worries, I have used that technique several times, only work of warning, if you use your oven at home it will stink the house out. I used the oven at work so I didn't get in trouble with the better half!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Easiest way to clean it is to sand blast it if you have access to the equipment. Otherwise you can scrub it, or use a dremmel tool with a wire brush.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Brillo pad, elbow grease, scour it clean with a green washing up sponge, dry it off, and then fry dinner in it…..and use it as a frying pan/chip pan for a few weeks. That'll re-season it for you without any problem at all.
Use the underside of the lid as the spoon rest for the oily utensils while you're cooking, and just wipe it clean with a paper towel when you're done.

Best advice for these pans is really just to use them.

atb,
M

OurAmericanCousin

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2015
SoCalUSA
I've "restored" plenty of cast iron. (It's not really restoring, because there's really nothing wrong with it, usually. Shhh ;) )

Heavy rust removal, as said, is easiest removed with sandblasting. I've used a cup brush even more than that. Its a drill mounted wire brush shaped like a ....well....a cup.

Nice score on the dutch oven.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Shame you aren't closer chap, I would have sorted it for you in my cooker in the barn :).

Well worth getting a detail sander and a wire brush for your drill. They are always handy.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Red if I lived closer you would have a semi permanent resident lol😉 thanks for the tips will be cleaning it up over the weekend hopefully see how it goes..😎

Sent from somewhere?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You'll be fine, it isn't rocket science. Get the crud off, get the inside flat, reseason with lots of thin coats.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
If you're not needing it for a few weeks just drop the whole thing in a bucket of water and leave it to soak. I've cleaned up old axe heads and cast iron pots this way. Rust literally wipes off easily with a rag after a long soaking. You need to season the cast iron very soon after though. Certainly takes the elbow grease out of the job, unless you enjoy that sort of thing, in which case fill yer boots with that wire brush. :)

Ditto about what you said if you lived closer to Red's place. That man reads like he's living the dream, and fair play to him for making it happen.
Red :You_Rock_

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just spent an hour scouring dried on droppings off the chicken coop Aaron, you are welcome to share that part of the dream :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE