Dutch modular sleep system (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
As mentioned in this thread, I recently bought one of the Dutch army modular sleep systems from fu-kit.com (no affiliation)

After an agonising wait of 5 days, it arrived. The 3 parts (inner bag, outer bag and stuffsack) were packed separately.

I put everything into the stuffsack to see how compact it would get:

ffe53888.jpg

The compressed package is 28x36cm, so not terribly large. It weighs about 4.5kg (although my fishing scales said 8lbs) - not a featherweight system but then it's not really designed to be. The stuffsack is a nylon bag with very rugged end caps (we called it a donkey's bra in the Scouts!) and thick webbing with big loops so you can get plenty of tension on it. The webbing goes all the way around so although it's a bit fiddly getting started, it's not going to come apart in a hurry.

First up, we have the inner bag:
3c9041c5.jpg

This is essentially the same as a Carinthia Tropen - it's a lightweight summer/jungle bag. This one is made by Fecsa, a Spanish defence contractor and I've no doubt it's the same standard. The zip is down the left hand side and the bag is pretty roomy. I'm 6'3" and can pull it over my head. That said, it's not as long as my Lidl bag, which isn't actually a bad piece of kit:

3e66e550.jpg

Washing instructions are in Dutch but say not to dry-clean and to only use low temperature/spin:

365a8b95.jpg

A nice feature, however, is the built in mosquito net. This is behind a small flap, held down with metal poppers:

826ac4f5.jpg

I'd imagine in the cold, these might cause problems but as mentioned, it's not a cold weather bag.
The mosquito net works by zipping it up - this zip is a nightmare, catches everything - and finishes with a Velcro tab to keep everything snug:

2351b8e1.jpg

Due to the size of the bag, it doesn't feel claustrophobic

Next up, we have the outer bag, again a Fecsa made Carinthia Defence 4 copy:

0b33ccef.jpg

This is a mummy bag and is heavier but much more restrictive. It's long enough, but only just - I can't really snuggle down inside it, especially when I'm inside the other bag as well. When done up, there is only a small breathing hole - it's not a bag you can have open at the top. My Lidl bag has the same problem but not to the same extent

It has a centre zip, with a flap to keep out the cold:

97bb85b5.jpg

As can be expected from surplus kit, it's often surplus for a reason. This one had been repaired but it's been neatly done and I'm sure it will hold up fine:

eaf320df.jpg

The bags have various loops, I presume for holding them together, although by what means I'm not sure - probably some sort of ribbon would be best so you don't get lumps.

Although in a hammock this bag will be great, being narrow with the centre zip, trying to get into both of them inside an Alpkit Hunka XL bivi-bag, with a Thermarest already inflated inside, was a bit of a challenge. Taking a photo was even more difficult!

8f5fbc7c.jpg

Planning on sleeping out tonight under the stars - the only place in my garden that isn't covered in dog poo is next to the pond so I'll need the mosquito net! If I survive, I'll report back tomorrow!

Last edited:

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
How do you think it compares with the US army modular system - including price. The US army ones were around £100 but a quick search didn't find any on ebay

Greek1983

Forager
Jan 23, 2011
Athens, Greece
Last edited:

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Forgot to say, it was about £70 delivered - to buy a new Defence 4 and Tropen would cost roughly 4 times that, from Heinnie-Haynes. I'd say it was a fair bargain, assuming they're made to the same spec (and I have no reason to believe they're not)

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
The outer bag looks identical in every subtle way to my Carinthia made Defence 4. Does the material appear to be waterproof (i.e. it billows about a bit when stuffing into the stuff sack?). The stuff sack is different to that supplied with the Defence 4, and looks almost identical to that supplied with the British Army arctic bag- i find them pretty good actually.

True bargain!

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Something I forgot to ask: Did you have any issues with the mosquito net's metal poppers of the "Tropen" while you were sleeping?

In a word, no. What did cause slight issues is that each bag has 2 cord-locks for adjusting the hoods - that's 6 in total. They're quite uncomfortable to lie on. I did wake up to find the "Tropen-a-like" had turned round as I rolled in the night but I was still warm

I had a full size domestic pillow in the hood of the bivi bag - next time I might move it inside the sleeping bags as quite like having my arms underneath it

Greek1983

Forager
Jan 23, 2011
Athens, Greece
In the jungle bag you won't a problem placing the pillow. Unfortunately with the "Defence" models you either have to place it underneath the sleeping bag or on top of the breathing hole, thus having your head exposed to the elements.

If you really want it inside the bag you'll have to unzip the top a bit 'cos the breathing hole is really small. I have the "Defence 1" and took me quite a while to get used sleeping in it with a pillow and especially in the same position I usually sleep (prone, arms underneath the pillow).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE