Dull vs Sharp Spectrum

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Not a question I NEED to be answered but I wondered if there was a correct answer as it exists in the legal realm.

I've noticed a few items on UK websites that are the DULL training version of the full restricted SHARP item.

It seems its allowed to sell the dull training blade but not the full live blade.

So question for the legal eagles and knifey-knifey-sharp-&-pointy brigade -

WHEN DOES DULL BECOME SHARP AND HOW IS IT MEASURED?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
What sort of item are we talking about here? Just for context.

Not that I was looking specifically for this item, I just came across it and thought of how the Law would define 'dull' vs 'sharp' in a court of Law?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Looks suspiciously like a buckle blade. Not sure what kind of training is required to use it.

Ok, regardless of what its possible application is , how would the line between what is a LIVE blade and a TRAINER blade actually be determined?

I know i'm splitting hairs and trawling through the minutiae but its raining outside and I'm not feeling outsidey today. #cold

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Not sure at all about this. It seems to be a grey area not defined in law. I think a blunt edge in LARP has to be 3mm wide to qualify for battle. But again, not at all sure about the legality of it.

Reactions: TeeDee

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I think the advert is just an attempt to get by the legality of selling a hidden/disguised blade - I suspect they may fail if it's picked up. The fact it's disguised may count more in a court of law than whether it's sharp or not - you could still take someone's eye out with it.

The UK law refers to the length of a 'cutting edge' IIRC, so perhaps the question should be 'cutting what?' - butter, cheese, flesh, wood?

Unfortunately 'sharp' has a legal meaning totally disconnected with cutting edges :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I think the advert is just an attempt to get by the legality of selling a hidden/disguised blade - I suspect they may fail if it's picked up. The fact it's disguised may count more in a court of law than whether it's sharp or not - you could still take someone's eye out with it.

The UK law refers to the length of a 'cutting edge' IIRC, so perhaps the question should be 'cutting what?' - butter, cheese, flesh, wood?

Unfortunately 'sharp' has a legal meaning totally disconnected with cutting edges :)
To be fair there is a trend now for Training and Live blades - I've never seen it with regards to a paracord bracelet. Which I can't imagine anyone seriously training with in a Martial application.

I have live and trainer knives but I just wondered upon the legality.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
If you have been following the Black Belt Barrister, dullness is not a defence as the courts don't want to be bogged down arguing the technicalities of how to define sharp.

Reactions: Broch and TeeDee

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
That paraclaw looks dodgy AF. It's like selling a firearm with the firing pin removed and calling it a trainer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE