Duke of Edinburgh's Award

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
I am just setting up a group at my school, to start in September- just wondering if anyone else runs a group and if they want to share ideas?
:wave:
Blue Sky, Jim.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
My other half helps out at her old school teaching DoE, I went with them this weekend on a practice exhibition.... looks like I'm set to go on a course now to instuct it too :p

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Next term i'll be going up to year 9 and me and my mate decided we're gonna do DofE and at least try and get a bronze award. Can't wait until the camping parts :eek:):

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I failed to finish my silver award at sixth form. You wont be able to do it with just one mate though, for safty reasons they don't let you do it if there is less then 4 people then if there is a group of 8 you have to split into 2 groups and just go the same way

S

Strider

For bronze and silver awards, there are 4 parts:
Sport
Service
Skill
Expedition(best bit)
Im doing my gold at the moment, and have completed the other two with the ATC. Good thing about doing it through cadets or scouts(i pressume), is that your general cadet activites count towards your awards, for example, my service for bronze was a first aid course with cadets, and for silver it was 6 months as an NCO. The skill is coverd by the tests you take to gain classification(1st class, leadsing etc...) So its all very nice.

Go for it, as its all a damned lotta fun. I have amny good memories from my previous expeds. aswell as some good tales, which for legal resons will remain untold :wink:

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Strider said:
Good thing about doing it through cadets or scouts(i pressume), is that your general cadet activites count towards your awards, for example,

The Explorer Scout programme is designed to match almost exactly with the DofE award scheme, and just as above can be used for DofE assessment.

Challenger

Apr 28, 2004
Halling, Kent
Jim

I have been involved with D of E for the last eight years for different schools, the wife is a teacher and always gets me involved with practice and qualifing weekends for Bronze and Silver awards. The biggest problem at the moment in Kent is with the BELA award, unless you have a BELA you cannot take any groups away on your own, they need to supervised by Kent County Council organised weekends. The other issue is that any past experience does not count and you all start from the bottom.

It is still very enjoyable teaching navigation and campcraft to teenagers that normally have no outdoor experience. You should enjoy it, but it can be hardwork.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
How old do you have to be before you can start doing DofE? I think it's when your 14 or when you start in year 9 but i'm not sure. Help me out

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I believe its 14-17 and there are other oppertunities to gain awards through a voluntary basis at 18+ (some sort of partnership deal)

I'm sure there are others here that know more and can answer you question alot better than i can.

:)
Ed

Challenger

Apr 28, 2004
Halling, Kent
You can start the Bronze award at 14, Silver at 15 and Gold at 16 Years old, the upper age limit for all Awards is the 25th birthday, by which time all activities which count for an Award must be completed.

All the schools I have been involved with, start the Bronze award in year 10 and Silver in year 12, some have supported the Gold award in year 13.

:roll:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
DofE have quite a substantial website listing requirements for awards and so on. well worth a google search.

cheers, and.

BrutonW

Jun 16, 2004
That's great.

One point from a 15 year old taking part in the DoE. Be prepared for loads of enthusiastic students who want to do the expedition, but wont want to do the rest of the award!

It should be a really rewarding experience for you. Anyone who volenteers themselves to look after smelly teenagers like me deserves a medal.

Will

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
ok- seems to work now! Hurray :) right anyway the group is now up and running- wev'e now got about a dozen teenagers (who don't particulary smell...) enrolled and I'm currently organizing a short trip to an adventure sports centre to get the group motivated. Happily I already have my BELA qualification so can run expeditions for my group- although not all Authorities require this. Anyhow hope everyone is well- will let you know how things go... :pack:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE