Dryad's saddle, is it edible??????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
I'm confused :confused:

Out walking in the local woods and come across loads of Dryad's saddle (Polyporus squamosus), now the problem is that i'm getiing conflicting information about their edibility.
According to Mr Mears (Survival Handbook) and Roger Phillips (the BIG book)they are edible. However I also have a number of other 'Mushroom & Toadstool' books which clearly state that it is NOT!

So who is right?

Adding to that is 'Chicken of the Woods' (Laetiporus sulphureus) edible? Same thing again, getting conflicting information.

Cheers

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Good question - according to my Gem guide, they're edible and the edges of the young caps are the best. Haven't eaten it myself.

Chicken of the woods I'm almost completely sure is edible - but again I haven't eaten it myself.

However, I'm sure that neither of them is poisonous.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Dryad's saddle is edible, but eat it when young. Polypores like this one and the giant polypore (when really, really young) are tasty and good, but very 'polypore'. It's a distinctive flavour. But they get too tough when older.

Chicken of the woods is definitely edible and hard to confuse with other fungi. My favourite thing to do with it is cut it into 'steak' slices about 1-2cms thick and freeze it. It makes a great Barbeque food for any vegetarians who drop round (or my wife). You can also cube it and add it to kebab skewers.
:)

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Stuart said:
be aware the roughly half the population is mildly allergic to Chicken of the woods, so try a very small bit first and check that your ok with it

what sort of allergic symptoms should we be looking for stuart?

Tant

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE