Draw knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
I made a draw knife a few years back.

It is only small (4 inch cutting edge), as I would have struggled to heat treat a bigger one with the facilities I have at home (only a blowtorch). It is made from an old leaf spring, and the hardest thing was getting it flat. I think I would use ground flat stock if I was making another. The blade was rough shaped and bevelled with an angle grinder. The tangs were cut out in line with the blade, and bent around afterwards with a bit of heat.

The grind angles are about the same as a wood chisel (25 degree primary, 30 degree secondary), and the heat treatment is on the soft side (more brown colour than gold or straw), as sometimes I rock the blade in a cut to break away a lot of waste, and I don't want the blade too brittle for that sort of use.

It is not a thing of great beauty, and has no pretensions to professional fit and finish, but it works and gives me great satisfaction to use it.

Hope this helps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE