Draw knife for bow making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 8, 2013
Ilkley
I have made a few bows in the past using "modern" tools. However, I would like to try and go more traditional and use a draw knife and spokeshave. Can anyone give me advice as to the size of draw knife I need, and any other useful information. The wood I'll be using will be ash. Thanks in advance.

Hi emoryi

Like you, I've just started making bows in ash - loads of fun.
Being a devout cheapskate, I made a quick and dirty drawknife using OFD tool steel (Old File from Dump :) )
9" blade seems to work ok, handles in the plane of the blade, cranked back about 30 deg. Ok, so it's a copy of the Gransfors design ;)
Other than the drawknife, I just used wedges to split the stave, carving axe to rough out the shape, old Stanley spokeshave, knife as a scraper, and chainsaw file to cut the nocks.
I'll post up a picture later when I can get on my home pc.

Last edited:
Just a suggestion, if you want to get the best out of your draw knife, spending a little time making a shave horse makes their use SO much easier. An eg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ga5uFmQ4CQ or plans at http://www.permaculture.co.uk/articles/how-make-shaving-horse. They don't require too much effort to make but you'll really appreciate it when you come to use the tool.

+1 on the shave horse - also have a look for "Champion the Lumber Horse"

This is the quick & dirty drawknife (excuse cr@ppy mobile phone pics):

Drawknife_1.jpg

Drawknife_2.jpg

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I'm half way through forging a draw knife for this sort of thing. I just made it fairly short with a 6" or so blade, but longer would be more versatile.

All the best

andy

You can ruin a bow pretty quickly with a draw knife after a certain point.

My preferred tool is a Bellotta farrier rasp. That may just be me though.

Yes, indeedy :D I managed to restrain my drawkniving enthusiasm and switch to the spokeshave and then the scraper at about the right point.
I could maybe have done with switching earlier, but you live and (hopefully) learn.
Next bow will be shorter and wider.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Yes, indeedy :D I managed to restrain my drawkniving enthusiasm and switch to the spokeshave and then the scraper at about the right point.
I could maybe have done with switching earlier, but you live and (hopefully) learn.
Next bow will be shorter and wider.

I have to have a word with my self and hide my draw knife on a regular basis. Never got on with spoke shaves but a cabinet scraper is a stunning tool.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE