Downlight reflector for a lamp ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
In view of the current lamp threads I went into the garage and got my Colemans powered up. Great lamps but was wondering if can get a reflector shield for around the the top, so as to spread the light down. Is there such a thing ?

On another note, why do I keep biting holes in my mantles ?

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I have thought about this. Seeing as how enamel reflectors for my Vapalux's are going for around £30 on ebay I was wondering if a cheap enamel plate or dish could be drilled or cut to accept the lamp?

I have bought an enamel plate but have not yet tried to cut the hole out!!

Steve

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You can get side reflectors from Coleman, worth keeping a lookout on ebay.com Its very easy to make a top reflector from something like a heavy duty foil pie dish or wider platter.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Your foil pie dish had me thinking, any metal dish could work and would be easier to cut than an enameled dish? I wonder if a mirror metal finish or a shiny white finish would give a better reflection?

Steve

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
On the "other note"... after the first time you light a new mantle, you have basically turned it to ash....
Therefore any vibration or knocks will cause it, or at least parts of it to crumble - hence the reason to
carry plenty of spares... ;)
Unless you are extremely careful, you will need a replacement after every camp move.....

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Old saucepan lids work well (steel ones). Polish up the inside with some Autosol, take off the handle and fit on the existing nut on the Coleman

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Old saucepan lids work well (steel ones). Polish up the inside with some Autosol, take off the handle and fit on the existing nut on the Coleman

Good idea that! Hole already drilled for the pan handle, and shape is ideal. Other option to the polishing route would be to paint the underside white?

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
On the "other note"... after the first time you light a new mantle, you have basically turned it to ash....
Therefore any vibration or knocks will cause it, or at least parts of it to crumble - hence the reason to
Unless you are extremely careful, you will need a replacement after every camp move.....

I find mine last well, I get 18 months of so out of most of them with lots of transport but I am always careful to wedge them in the car and avoid big bumps.

There is somebody in the US who makes a little top reflector but his aim was mainly to fill the black spot under the lamp and less about increasing the usable light. I think some of the DIY methods mentioned would work just as well but I'll try to find the link.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

If your carrying your lantern in a backpack then I'd tend to agree but car camping you should get a lot more life/trips out of your mantles. Always carry a spare though, they will break when you don't have a back up... sods law says so.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
My efforts so far, £3 and about 10 mins. Not bad and they work really well.

IMG_2174.jpg

Asda silver buffet plates, pack of 3 for £3.

Covert System

May 6, 2013
Nottingham
If your carrying your lantern in a backpack then I'd tend to agree but car camping you should get a lot more life/trips out of your mantles. Always carry a spare though, they will break when you don't have a back up... sods law says so.

Our Tilley lamp would get knocked quite often and we didn't take any particular care in how the lamp was handled and we had no problem with mantles.

If you buy cheap mantles that fit your lamp then expect them to not last as long as genuine parts.

Yes carry spares because it doesn't hurt and when you buy, buy genuine, the extra 50p makes the difference.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE