Down bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyross

Nov 14, 2006
U.K.
I was wondering if I could pick the brains of the good folk on this forum :).
I am looking for a down sleeping bag with a 3 season rating. I am particularly looking for down for its space advantage when packing away in a rucksack. My problem is that I am manly/cuddly sized (lardass :rolleyes:) 6'4" tall and 52" chest. So I am looking for a large bag and would like suggetions. I have a Nanok endurance 0 for summer which fits ok so around that size.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers Andy

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
Have a look at Alpkit's SkyeHigh. The do a long version which is fine length wise and it is a bit wider too (listed as 80cm).

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Why not go for the Nanok -10? It's a bit heavy for my liking but there are a few people who use it. As Fizzy suggests the Alpkit range is generally accepted as being quite good. There was a post recently with someone singing the praises of 'Highlander' bags I think it was? Not 100% sure on that, they said the bag was around 30 odd quid, which sounds too cheap to me but I'm a sceptical bugger, and believe you get what you pay for.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I've been looking at a new bag and i do like the idea of down, i'm also 6'2" and on the cuddly side myself so i'll share anything i find andyross ;)

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Nanok -10 and Alpkit SkyeHigh 800 are roughly equivalent in price and warmth, I've had one of each for a while - those are more like 4 season though.

I'm 6'1 and the Alpkit regular length is only just long enough for me - the Nanok is longer as standard 195cm I think. The Alpkit is also a good bit lighter and packs down a bit smaller, but I use both depending on what I feel like sleeping in, where I'm going, what else I want to carry, etc, etc.

If you want a down bag, and the measurements seem right, go for the long-length Alpkit, good gear and good prices, they've also got great customer service so I'm sure they'd be happy to answer any email queries you might have.

I've been looking recently (though haven't been able to justify another sleeping bag yet) at the Nanok Airlock -5, which looks to me to be a 3 season. It's a mixed down/synthetic bag, Lurch on here sells them ...

http://www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk/acatalog/Nanok.html

... and I know Vince, who runs Nordic Outdoors in Edinburgh and is a member on here uses one regularly.

P.S. The usual caveat applies, no connection with either brand/seller, just a satisfied customers of all three.

Last edited:

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Have a look at Alpkit's SkyeHigh. The do a long version which is fine length wise and it is a bit wider too (listed as 80cm).

Yep I'd say the same. I just bought the 600, took it for a test drive in the woods last few days and I've never been so toasty. The long is an extra 20cm in length, the regular gives me plenty of wriggle room up and down the bag (saying that I am well under 6ft) so the L should fit you nicely I'd imagine. Packs nicely too, I can get it down to about half the size of my old synthetic bag. Oh and it's free next day delivery from the Alpkit's website so it's win win really ;)

andyross

Nov 14, 2006
U.K.
I eventualy bought the Alpkit SkyeHigh 800, long version. Pleasantly suprised at the size or maybe I have lost weight :lmao:. Quality of Alpkit gear never ceases to amaze me for the price. Certainly worth considering for anyone looking for a larger down bag.

Cheers Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE