Double bubble on Muntjac

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Having been zeroing the rifle on Monday I decided to go out Tuesday morning and came across these two together, I took one and the other never moved just looked at me so I decided two for the pot. Both big animals I had to carry them back to the car in two trips.

Guess who is eating venison on there next meet (Norfolk)

For the gun geeks, its a Howa 1500 stainless with Wildcat sound moderator, in .243, shooting RWS100grain soft point, a bit heavy but guarantees a knock down, cos they are tuff little buggers.
Image0048.jpg
[/IMG
Image0049.jpg

Last edited:

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
Nice work - I like to try for a neck shot if I can to limit meat damage, but I have to be confident as well. How does a 243 hold up with lost meat?
By the way, I grew up in East Anglia and my parents still live there - they tell me muntjac numbers have exploded recently, and it sounds like there is a real need to keep the numbers down.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Dont get access to much in the way of vennison around here and if we do its shocking expensive. If i were to put three identical fillets on a plate cooked the same, one roe, one red, one munty, could you tell the difference?

Nice shooting by the way.

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
You know why the other one just stood there staring at you, he spotted smoke lingering around you and thought you were on fire.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
To answer a couple of questions

For Bullterrier........The 243 meat damage is generally ok take those two for instance , if I use the 223, very little. However those that shoot know if you hit bone initially it can cause alot. I shot one only recently (243) and there was a neat little hole one side and I could drive the car in the other. If I have a choice 243 every time for knock down, also with red and roe on sight to I have the flexibility, I am careful with my shooting and always err on the side of caution and thus reduce the chances of having to track a wounded animal and lucky to have a dog for that. I shoot, just for your info near Hethel just outside Wymondham and you are right the numbers have exploded and even though they get hit hard locally still seem to be around.

Dwardo......If I had three types of venison in front of me, I think I could as long as it was just just the meat, as Muntjac I personally think is the sweetest of the 3 meats.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE