dose anyone use snow chains

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I was using them yesterday, great fun:cool: ,only got stuck once on a hill, only to find one of my chains had come off,my fault as I hadnt tightened it up as recommended after a short distance., the only other vehicles I saw on the road were 4 wheel drives, apart from one crazy guy on a scooter :yikes:
I've got a couple of spare sets that I picked up at the carboot, what size tyre fitment are you after?
snowvan1.jpg

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
If you travel in some European areas it's the law that you must have snow chains on board and use them when necessary. Be prepared to be stopped by the police for spot checks on passes in the Pyrenees for example. If you don't have them then they'll make you leave the vehicle where it is and go to get some.

Last edited:
not shure what i want i have 195 50 15"

I'll have a look in the morning, one set is far too big, but not sure about the other....just hope I can still get into the shed!
If they fit ,you can have them free, you would have to pick them up though!:p

You would want something like these unless they are for a van, then you would need thicker chains than 9mm, my van ones are 16mm.

cheers thats not bad at all, can you drive on tarmac or slush for short periods or will you just skid?
thanks

Your not supposed to drive on tarmac really:rolleyes:, but I had the misfortune of a snow plough pulling out onto the road in front of me:nono:, ideally I should have taken them off, but as it was only a very short distance I needed to go before turning off, I left them on, no skidding, but didnt go faster than 15mph:yikes:,

They also vibrate a bit when not on snow, so I found myself driving at the very edge of the road where there was still (quite deep) snow.

They dont take long to take off and replace after a bit of practice, though finding somewhere safe to refit them isnt always easy!

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I reckon best solution in the UK is winter tyres. Most of the time we are not on solid snow but going from cold greasy tarmac to slush to snow. if you have socks or chains they get you out of drifts and work on solid snow but winter tyres work on all surfaces and unlike 4WD they improve traction on braking as well as going forwards.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE