Don't let anything hold you back!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Well I've been making my first ever knife and came up against a few problems, the main one of which is that I don't have a long enough clamp to hold the knife together while I glue it, of course I could just buy a clamp but I'm not going to use it very much and being a student I don't really have the cash to throw about!

So, after racking my brains thinking about how to keep the thing together - thinking about balancing objects on top of it, tying it together - but nothing was really seeming practical. That was until I saw a picture of a bucksaw and suddenly I had a burst of inspiration and came up with this:

xe4dnn.jpg

It's a bass guitar stand with two loops of 550 paracord twisted using spanners to keep the pressure on! The excess paracord I have tied on to keep the spanners twisted.

Here is another picture of the twists:

eg93eq.jpg

Now I just need to wait overnight then decide what handle shape I want!
I hope this inspires someone to use their own ingenuity when they have a problem rather than just copping out and spending their hard-earned cash for something that isn't needed :)

Apologies for the bad photos!

Cheers,
Asa.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looks like one of my kind of jigs Asa, if it works don't complain.

Look forward to seeing the knife when it's done.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Well the epoxy has set and it's done it's job perfectly :)

It's taking bloody ages to shape the handle by hand though!
Anybody in the Gorran area got a belt sander I could borrow? :p

Asa

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Good work Asa, My first clamp was a bit random.
Might as well make a clamp though, as you know thats it now and you'll end up making more :) One for a mate, one for a work colleague......... the mrs......:)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
there is an easier way you know ;)

electrical tape. a couple of wraps around the tip of blade, then around the outside of knife and back to tip; wrap tip again and then around the other axis and back to tip. Then to tighten it further just wrap around the 'straps' down to the handle. The tape is a little stretchy so it evens out some of the stresses and allows for better alignment , at least it has worked for more than a few dozen knives without a problem ;)

tapedupweb.jpg

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Asa, I do a similar thing but with the knife blade down in a vise and two Spanish windlasses as a draw down. Be careful though, as a Spanish windlass can draw a lot more tension than is immediately obvious to the uninitiated. Too much tension can result in stress points being locked into the tang, or a substantial sharp flying around the room. A workmate of mine lost a finger on a Spanish windlass not a lot bigger than the one you have there.

I once shifted an 8 ton turbine some 20 yards using them but HSE would have you hung, drawn and quartered for that now. Bring back the bad old days!

Cheers.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
I can feel a challenge coming on here. Most ingenius use of a 2 pint saucepan, a dessert spoon, three 50cm bungee cords, 3m of paracord and a cat.

I can’t see the bungees storing enough energy to fire a heavy overly fed moggy that frequent my neighbourhood ….but hows about :

Suacpan on cats head,
Spoon on cats tail
Bungees primed and ready inbetween.

When dog tries to attack old kitty not only does it have a suacpan helmet but a quick tug on the para cord (held in its mouth) sends the spoon harpoon like into the attacking K9….its a self protection Kit for the cat who has everything ;)

Mojo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE