Does anyone here have a plasma lighter/usb tesla coil lighter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Strange question

I was thinking of getting a usb lighter

but I need it to melt hot glue sticks as well for work.

Does anyone know whether it would melt the sticks for mending stuff purposes?

Thanks
Al

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I had never heard of those. Had to look it up on Youtube. Doesn't look like a good thing to use with hot melt glue. The heat is very localised, and very high, and I don't think it would be long before a minor muscle twitch coated your electrodes with hot melt glue.

I would have thought that a much better option would be one of the little turbo torch lighters. I used to use one of those for hot-melt glue used in archery to attach arrow points to shafts. That arc lighter would not have worked for that application. A turbo flame gives much more control.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Hi
Thanks for the reply, im currently using a 2jet turboflame to melt glue,
I liked the idea of rechargeable tech , ive got so many other usb powered devices. Its simply the gadget factor.

Also cheap fuel gunks up the nozzles on the turboflame, and it doesnt like the cold....

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
The hot area on a plasma lighter is very small, in fact so small that it is difficult to get it to some materials. A cool gadget but not very practical. There might be some use for it but lighting camp fires is not one of them.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Neoaliphant,
I am curious what sort of work you do that repairs things with hot melt glue? Presumably this is in stick form? What sort of glue stick? Batteries don't like the cold either, in my experience. I have only ever used Swan fuel in my lighters and don't know if that is counted as good or bad, I don't use them enough to find about gunked jets.

Would something like this work?
or this:

Interesting problem. Cheers

Chris

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
ive been using ronson fuel since and jets have been fine, but used 151 from pund shop and it stopped working, a known issue apparently.

i use hot glue guns at home all the time for diy/crafting, so weve got hundreds of glue sticks floatinga round

keep glue sticks in my survival kit repair section,
been using gluestocks as a sort of sugru, love the way it cools so quickly and its not prone to fracture.

for work I do IT, so i often use glue to hold cables in place, along with cable ties, stick a cable tie to a metal surface and then strap in cables etc.
or put round the end of a cable to support a weakened /frayed end that has exposed wires, charger cables and the like.

turboflame lighter has been fine, but my wife wants to inherit it and so i had been watching youtube videos on the usb lighters, some people seem to rate them.

bit of a quandry but for £6, might be worth a punt, it has a tacticool...

Ta for the links, but i cant justify that much just for the gun....

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
I have a plasmalighter. It must touch the material intended to light. That mean that you will get glue on the spark producing head and probably ruin it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE