Does anyone have both osprey bottle and US issue?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
What Gareth said. The Osprey is also much more rigidly made and robust, the seals are far superior on the Osprey too. I've dropped my US canteen and put a split in it when climbing in St Ives. That wouldn't have happened with an Osprey.

garethw

Settler
What Gareth said. The Osprey is also much more rigidly made and robust, the seals are far superior on the Osprey too. I've dropped my US canteen and put a split in it when climbing in St Ives. That wouldn't have happened with an Osprey.

While I agree the Osprey is a superior product, I find the genuine issue US Quart pretty sturdy.. the plastic on mine is almost as rigid as the Brit one, can't see how it could split..... However, I much prefer the wider opening and larger capacity of the Brit model.... Its a bit like the cups.. the Crusader is far better than the US quart cup for cooking outdoors. I'd say the main point I like about the US set is the canteen cover...
That said both serve their purpose well...
cheers
Gareth

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
just that i had got myself an eagle industries canteen pouch which is said to fit both ,I have an osprey in it and it is TIGHT.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
While I agree the Osprey is a superior product, I find the genuine issue US Quart pretty sturdy.. the plastic on mine is almost as rigid as the Brit one, can't see how it could split..... However, I much prefer the wider opening and larger capacity of the Brit model.... Its a bit like the cups.. the Crusader is far better than the US quart cup for cooking outdoors. I'd say the main point I like about the US set is the canteen cover...
That said both serve their purpose well...
cheers
Gareth

Certainly they are both excellent products. The US canteen hit a sharp rock when full from a height as I threw it down to a mate who missed catching it. It is quite a bit thinner though as you can squish it with your fingers, something you can't do with the Osprey. The US canteen is a bargain at under £4 and is slimmer and easier to carry in a bag.

garethw

Settler
just that i had got myself an eagle industries canteen pouch which is said to fit both ,I have an osprey in it and it is TIGHT.

Can't see how they could make a cover that could fit both... either, as you say the Oprey is very tight or the Us quart very loose.. but the Brit bottle is a very different shape and quite a bit wider at the girth...

cheers
Gareth

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Kit monster states they fit both which they do but as you say osprey is tight but the us issue must have plenty room then.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
the nato/dutch type made by avon in britain, is same build quality as osprey but design like US type, holds a litre too instead of the 900mls or whatever the US type is. bit taller than the british and us types.

ToddG

Nov 4, 2008
Boston, MA USA
Does anyone know if it's possible to find a METAL bottle that is the same size and shape as the osprey? I have been using the osprey bottles and matching cup for a few years now and don't really want to part with them. But it would be nice to have a metal bottle that I could set near the fire in the winter so my water does not freeze.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
yeah ebay for those, they don't come cheap tho in good nick. metal and plastic top types, tops are not inter-changable. i sold mine with my sas belt kit, but they are good, keep the water cooler too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE