Does anybody know about fires in The New Forest?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

bushwackerscott

Does anybody know if you can have fires at the The new Forest?

If not or if you can't then do you know somewhere in the south of England where you can, preferably a forrested area?

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Not sure - although if you find out.... YELL. The New Forest is only 10 minutes from me.

Also does anyone know if lighting a fire in a Kelly Kettle is conisdered as an open fire or not?

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
I've used my KK on a few of thr forestry commision sites and no one has ever said anything to me, I think if you use it in a sensible manner and don't scourch the grass around your camp no one will object, in fact you may get a small audience as I did on one site asking where you can get them from.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
LOL, yeah I know a few people who claim the same thing. I live in Chandlers Ford and saying Totton is the New Forest is as bad as saying that I live in Eastleigh :lol:

T

Tumper

I've spent a bit of time in the New Forest, and often have a fire. If a Ranger spots you, they will tell you to pack up. Most locals will ignore you if you are discreet. You do get a few people who take exception to campfires, but if you keep your head down, and stay away from the busier walks, then you should be ok.

Kelly Kettles could be classed as a fire, but it's a bit like the knife laws...Nobody will know until someone gets pulled for it. I bet that a kelly kettle would be ok to many who would kick-up at the sight of a home made can stove.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
If you are in a wooded area you may get away with it,but in the height of summer the heath areas become large areas of tinder and heath fires are an annual problem. Use dry,barkless firewood to reduce smoke and therefor detection.If no one notices your doing it you will have fewer problems :wink:

ANDYLASER

Nomad
Mar 27, 2004
SOUTHAMPTON
I have had a small fire at Lepe, which is very much edge of the forest and was told in no uncertain terms that it was NOT allowed. I think to an extent it would depend on where in the forest you were. Certainly if you were in a wooded area it would probably not be allowed. I would sugest checking the forsstry comission bylaws.

I used to live in Totton, I don't think its part of the forest by any means.

bushwackerscott said:
Does anybody know if you can have fires at the The new Forest?

If not or if you can't then do you know somewhere in the south of England where you can, preferably a forrested area?

Fires are Not allowed in the New forest at all I would expect a Warden would also ask you to Put out a kelly kettle as well Disposable BBQs as well as other BBQs arnt allowed etc though you can normally use these in the Designated Campsite areas.

THough whats the Rules and what actually happens are 2 different things

ATB

Duncan

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
disposable bbqs are used!! if you go onto the green by the church at Lyndhurst, there are loads of square patches of evidently dead grass :lol:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE