do you think he needs a lesson????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I reckon I've been round and tidied up a few loch/riverside camp spots where our friend has been. Great comedy skit.

His dog looks pretty smart (earlier episodes)

In episode 2, there is a very nasty fire scar on a tree by his tarp. It is amazing how often numpties think it is smart to light a fire at the base of a tree. At least he didn't do that (I assume).

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
JHC. Just watched that for the third time and still cringe at what hes doing especially the speed hes trying to strike.
I guess he read that your supposed to try and shave sparks off the stick in a too literal manner.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
My favourite comment on this was

"Don't put your knife away chap, sit there and repair the damage you've done to the edge, then put it away, then take it of and throw it in the river behind you, If you you do this then I have just saved your life,..."

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
My favourite comment on this was

"Don't put your knife away chap, sit there and repair the damage you've done to the edge, then put it away, then take it of and throw it in the river behind you, If you you do this then I have just saved your life,..."

hahaha that was me!!!! i didn't think it had posted.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
He looks like he is enjoying himself but that video 4 is impossible to watch without closing your eyes and cringing. Me thinks a book or 2 from the library or even a google here and there for some info / vids would help him along and might be useful at the moment than another bit of kit. Still as I said he is enjoying himself - cannot say the same for wee maxi-dog mind!

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
WOW, I was considering posting a bushcraft diary myself. Don't think I'll bother now. I know that I'm making mistakes and had headed it up as not an instructional video. But not sure I would like the onslaught of comments.

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
WOW, I was considering posting a bushcraft diary myself. Don't think I'll bother now. I know that I'm making mistakes and had headed it up as not an instructional video. But not sure I would like the onslaught of comments.

Everyone does something wrong from time to time thats how you learn .But common sense tells you, or should tell you not to hack away with a knife so close to your hand !!

Jason

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Having had a quiet chuckle at both the video and subsequent comments, I do have to say "fair do's" to the lad - at least he's out there and giving it a go. Giving way to no man in my levels of ignorance on matters bushcrafting, it's still good to see such enthusiasm - he's certainly enjoying himself at no cost to others, and that has to be a good thing. However, he might wish to remember that opposable thumbs separate us from most of the animal kingdom, and he's coming preciously close to separating himself from those thumbs too:)

Morrolan

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2010
Chorley, Lancashire
Like most people have commented, at least he's out there doing it, but desperately in need of some direction!

Maybe I should drop a link to this forum on his comments?

That is one very quick way to destroy your knife and your fire steel. I've had my steel for years, and by changing technique (certainly not striking like that) I don't think it's ever taken me more than 30 small, controlled strikes for birch-bark or cotton-wool, a lot less if using char-cloth, and that is in no way bragging.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
...But think about the Children!!!!.......

what i mean is (and i hasten to add i have not heard the audio...no speakers at present) 'if' he is saying this is how to do it (like his title suggests), are others who would like to give it a go going to immatate him?

I shudder to think of some young group of kids (or adults wanting to get into bushcraft) trying to light a fire with this method....

so although he is 'out there and giving it a go' I don't feel it is a good enough reason to 'let him off'.....

Don't worry i'm not going any where with this, except maybe we should bring back the internet police to save us from ourselves :)

Mojo

Last edited:

BOD

He has a great sense of humour. The fact that we cannot decide if he is for real proves it.

Most 'bushcrafters' are anal about their kindling and tinder and he parodies all the huffing and puffing on the embers.

If he is for real then that's wonderful and simply shows that there is little craft in this hobby; any half baked method could work

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
..and i hasten to add i have not heard the audio...no speakers at present
Mojo

You really must get yourself down to PC world and get some speakers mate, your missing the best bit of the production !!

As been said, he's out there clearly enjoying himself, I think he's class and much more entertaining than Bear Grylls !!

wot a moron a first class idiot people like this should not be allowed to post videos on you tube wot happens if a child who is learning bushcraft watches this and decides to copy this practice not only will they ruin a perfectly good knife they will possibly lose a digit or two clowns like him prove that natural selection does not work :nono::headbang:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE