Do you make a living out of bushcraft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Do you make a living out of bushcraft?

• Yes, I make a living out of bushcraft

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • No, but I would like to

Votes: 102 39.8%
  • No, it's just a hobby and I like it that way

Votes: 115 44.9%
  • No, but it's part of my work.

Votes: 26 10.2%

• Total voters

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
My vote went no but i would like to.
Actually initially i would like to be more of a 'second' helping other people, and trying to get some meets organised and things like that.

Im in the process of trying to find work in Norway and once i am there i plan to have somewhere big enough to invite friends family and likelminded folks - ideally with some woods (its not easy to type with eyes screwed up and fingers crossed tight!).
I dont intend to 'live' from courses but i would love to have the chance to invite people share some knowlage etc and if it happens, rest assured you will all hear about it!
Mainly green woodwork and whittling and green building techniques.

So good luck to us all trying to get a little better at what we enjoy!

Im editing this as i realised i do use some tracking skills in my work so maybe i qualify for I use bushcraft for a little of my work?!
:)

Last edited:

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
I meant to say " Its a part of work" but i went for "I make a living out of it" what a clot.

Im a stalker, so i spend most of my tracking, add to that the hunting and forestry I do around, i think i quilify for its a part of my work.

Sam

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Although when tied to the curriculum I teach English, when I'm released from the classroom, I teach bushcraft - two afternoons every week - to a growing throng of enthusiastic kids. Not all bad really!

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Although when tied to the curriculum I teach English, when I'm released from the classroom, I teach bushcraft - two afternoons every week - to a growing throng of enthusiastic kids. Not all bad really!

thats sonds cool

I'm much the same I teach Design Technology full time but when I get out of the class room I teach to DofE students, kids on days out, I run Bushcrafty birthday parties on various themes and I've just been recruited by the local outdoor ed team to train there instructors, design alternative ed sessions for them and run experience days for them. It wont take over from my current job that is unless i get to work for a school in this capacity and keep my pension. I enjoy this balance it's fun and I still get time to go an play out for myself too. All good.

It does supplement my income, but its not my main income and I'm not bothered if it ever does become. If that makes sense

R

roy1

Hi there I've said yes as I teach bushcraft to kids through my work with a mobile care unit as well as setting up a new venture in the lakes called Back to Basics bushcraft & survival, it's not been an easy process especially with limited funds but hopefully should have enough work to get by.

jameswhite

Nov 24, 2006
new forest
having spent 20 years suited and booted in the city trying to make rich people richer and spending a fortune every month on "stuff" just to make me feel better i for one was glad the day i gave it up to earn a living through buscraft. " years on and professionally trained and qualified i am able to say i now make a good living teaching what i love, i dont own a convertable merc any more or holiday in the maldives and the boat was sold but i am soooo much happier which in turn makes me a better husbad and dad. Life is simpler but so much better!

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm happy to maintain it as a hobby. I echo the thoughts of some others above as I don't think my enthusiasm would survive doing it for a living. Furthermore, it's an integral part of my other outside interests (hillwalking, winter climbing, mountaineering, mountain marathons, etc).

I like to keep it as an escape; although, to be absolutely honest, I mostly enjoyed my full-time job goodjob before I packed it in last year and I love what I'm doing now (health professions student)! :red:

Yep, it's all part of the no-work/life balance!

Now, as a student, I should really be back in bed ... excuse me ... :goodnight:

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Now, as a student, I should really be back in bed ... excuse me ... :goodnight:

oi - we aren't all lazy.

he says with a filthy room and a pile of journals to read. :p

bushcraft is a hobby - no doubt about it but i certainly wouldn't mind making a bit of money on my blacksmithing stuff.

andy

Last edited:

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
I voted for "its part of my work".As it is now partially providing me some dough,even though im not shopkeeper,no,i get paid a little for taking people in to trails,teach them to make fire etc,but im still learning to become real wilderness guide.

1 x bush mechanic

I have found an abandoned village in the Pyrenees with enough land to start a small farm/pony trekking/canoeing/trout fishing/bushcraft,survival school with like minded people.
With a view to helping problem children and people with stress related disorders from cities around the world by getting back to the basics. I believe city life is the root problem of most stress related issues because it is so far from how we evolved. (the outdoors deficiency) What do you think ?

Commoner

Jan 29, 2010
Hampshire
fantastic idea and ideology. i saw a similar venue when i was hoping to buy one about ten years ago when i had money... (whistful sigh)
running along similar lines to woodcraft folk type facility/organisation?
how are you funding it?

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
I would like to live always on the bushcraft but saddly not, it's just part of my job. In fact I'm an environmental consultant so I spend some of my time (probably 30%) on woods and similar places.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I too turned my hobby into part of my job.
I currently write gear reviews and general articles for a couple of Shooting magazines, make and sell a couple of knives, pouches and other bits through a stall (not mine) on a market ), still get royalties on a couple of walking/cycling books I wrote, do a bit of freelance canoe coaching, do a bit of relief support work for Mencap and sell the odd bit of stuff I have made or written on this site.
My work is my hobby, my hobby my work.
I dont know if you would call it making a living as I earn too little to come into the income tax bracket!
My wife has a "real" job and is the major bread winner and bill payer!
I spend more time (it seems!) giving my time to the comunity for free than I do getting paid for it - but I love my life!

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
I too turned my hobby into part of my job.
I currently write gear reviews and general articles for a couple of Shooting magazines, make and sell a couple of knives, pouches and other bits through a stall (not mine) on a market ), still get royalties on a couple of walking/cycling books I wrote, do a bit of freelance canoe coaching, do a bit of relief support work for Mencap and sell the odd bit of stuff I have made or written on this site.
My work is my hobby, my hobby my work.
I dont know if you would call it making a living as I earn too little to come into the income tax bracket!
My wife has a "real" job and is the major bread winner and bill payer!
I spend more time (it seems!) giving my time to the comunity for free than I do getting paid for it - but I love my life!

Excellent post John

goodjob

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
I do it for a living as an instructor at an outdoor centre for the disabled. I'm responsible for running all the bushcraft/survival and wild camping.. frankly, I feel guilty getting paid for it, I love my job :D

Diamond Dave

Mar 2, 2006
Ilkeston
I voted that I would love to, especially as I am about to be out of work, but I am not good enough :eek:

My fire drill does not catch fire...
My knife is shiney, in patches, and is great for spreading butter...
My bum always ends up touching the ground when I sling my hammock...
My tarp doesn't cover my hammock...
My bannock always burns...
My idea of tree identification is "Big One", "Little One", "Oak" and dead...
My guts would never survive me trying to forrage..
My fire steel is limp...
My rucksack is complety rucked...

But I can light a decent fire, using only a turbo lighter and a pack of fire lighters...

Not much chance of making a living there then

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

That's better....................

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE