Do you love billhooks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Just dug out my grandads old billhook for my woodland management course. cant realy sned ash and hazel with an axe. It is the tool for the job

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
iv got a double sided bill and tbh i haven’t really used it, its just sat in my room since i brought it :eek: and i have no idea why:confused: i really need to give it a go.

i did some coppicing at college and it is the perfect tool for cleaning hazel poles (as you would expect from a tool designed to do so) but as for the single sided bills im struggling to find its place in bushcraft. surely the hook gets in the way whilst chopping onto a block? now i have seen some bills that have had the hook removed but to me this no longer makes it a billhook, more of a bushcraft meat cleaver.

what do you guys think?

Pete

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
my hooks
myhooks.jpg

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
iv got a double sided bill and tbh i haven’t really used it, its just sat in my room since i brought it :eek: and i have no idea why:confused: i really need to give it a go.

i did some coppicing at college and it is the perfect tool for cleaning hazel poles (as you would expect from a tool designed to do so) but as for the single sided bills im struggling to find its place in bushcraft. surely the hook gets in the way whilst chopping onto a block? now i have seen some bills that have had the hook removed but to me this no longer makes it a billhook, more of a bushcraft meat cleaver.

what do you guys think?

Pete

Pete some billhooks have no hook, (I know its strange) but there are lots of different regional patterns some have no hook, some have more and some less.
When you are chopping into as block you have to use the flat of the blade with the hook over the edge, it is possible. I have never use one of the double edged one but the look fun.

Mark

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi do you love Billhooks but feel left out?
Does it get to much when everybody gets out their shiney SFAs and your billhook is dull and pitted?
Are you feeling left out because you dont have a snappy leather sheath but carry yours in a sack.

I understand I love billhooks to.

BRING BACK THE BILLHOOK:You_Rock_

Mark

Hi Mark,

I'm a big fan of billhooks, may even start a group called "BISMLAUTAA"... But it's so much lighter and usefull than an axe. I don't feel left out though as folk I meet in the bushcraft world often feel that they're missing out when they see it in action. :rolleyes:
Used one daily at work for years, love my little pitted battle worn curved lovely all the time. Plus I look like an Ork. ( Though this may be a slight on my fizzog rather than my adeptness with a hook). I do use axes too, but as a carry tool I think the hook "has the edge".
Good post mate.
Goatboy.

Last edited:

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
There seems to be much comparison between billhooks and axes and I can't think why :confused: Very different tools, really, and the only thing they have in common is that they're heavy, edged and cut stuff. I've never had the pleasure of doing much work for which I would need a billhook, but I imagine an axe would be very out of place. That said, I think it would be bizarre (and most people who have to do it would probably agree) to expect to use a billhook for felling, limbing and splitting firewood for your winter stores, if you needed them. Just know what they're best at and you're much better off than someone who thinks one does all better :)

I do like my Leuku but it's a bit lighter than your average billhook I expect!

Pete

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Draven, I agree with you that axes and billhooks are very diffenent tools but their uses do cross over. I live on a farm and have worked on it for years, in that time I have cut hundreds of tons of wood for the woodburners we have. But we never used an axe or hatchet. A chainsaw or crosscut saw for felling and the larger limbs. sized it with a saw as well then split it with a maul, everything else like the smaller limbs and splitting kindling was done with a billhook. We dident get a conventional axe till I got into bushcraft and we now have a selection.
My point was that a light weight axe and a billhooks uses cross over a lot and that in place of a light weight axe a billhook is great in british woodland.
I love axes to just ask John Fenna, and I have some nice ones but I think fashion comes into play here and wanted to point out that there is a cheap british made alternative to a scandi axe that works well.

Mark

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
hmm thats nice but a bit of a pervertion of the word billHOOK lol

im thinking a double edged has to be the best design for bushcraft

pete

You can get a pattern with the straight cutting edge like in the picture BR posted, but with a hook on the other side, to use as a pick up. Saves bending down as far which is very usefull when using all day everyday. Also saves blunting a hook into blocks/ground ect.

I think the one i'm on about is a "Heartfordshire" but I could be wrong. I have used one though and its my favorite billhook by far out of the many ive tryed.

I do love my bill hooks, around my small holding they get much more use than an axe

both by dunsford

the smaller morris is used all through the winter for hedging and for sorting and sizing the kindling pile and the larger is used for hedging and in place of an axe, you only need to carry one thing.

As and aside, I have also found the old bill are completely disinterested in bill hooks and the last two times i have been out with an axe i have been stopped (all friendly) and asked for my reason for carrying. Never have with hooks.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
Phaserrifle,

The hook is very useful for splitting things like hazel wands down for weaving hurdles etc. See below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U08AiNxq17Q

Dave

not being much of a hurdle maker, I was thinking of it more as a large knife in the vein of the kukri and parang. i.e. large knives that can be used for bush clearing, light wood chopping and simmilar tasks. for the axe type jobs I could see the hook getting in the way.
I suppose it's something to experiment with if needs be.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I find most billhooks a bit on the heavy side for my personal preference. I have a lovely little Gilpin which I like and use a fair bit round the garden when others would head for their electric hedge trimmer or whatever.

To me less than 1/2" grass hook, 1/2"-1.5" billhook, over 1.5" axe. The bill is quite a small niche but one which was historically much more important than today. Think every time you see a hedge flail, that would have been billhook work 60 years ago, no wonder there are plenty about.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE