Do you know what it is?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
www.mid-waleslogbuildings.co.uk
I just wondered how many people could ID this critter from this close-up. Clue; there are not many insects I will kill on sight but this is one!

hfly.jpg

I'll give the answer in a day or two.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Ah now maybe I was right first time, think the pic I posted first was a different horse fly, perhaps american. Anyway here is cleg, neddy or whatever you call him, I agree kill on site. Where mossies suck blood these guys eat flesh.

1551404006_aff4f7ffa2.jpg

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
It's a bit tricky because common/English names vary from place to place, but as I understand it horseflies (such as Robin's first picture) are family Tabanidae whereas clegs my pic and Robin's last are Haematopota pluvialis, equally evil little beggers and equally deserving of death IMHO.

Steve

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
It's a bit tricky because common/English names vary from place to place, but as I understand it horseflies (such as Robin's first picture) are family Tabanidae whereas clegs my pic and Robin's last are Haematopota pluvialis, equally evil little beggers and equally deserving of death IMHO.

Steve

oops got that wrong, apparently horseflies, deerflies and clegs are all Tabanidae, but strictly speaking horsefly refers to the geni Atylotus, Hybomitra and Tabanus, deerfly to the genus Chrysops and clegs are genus Haematopota and I think this one is the species Haematopota pluvialis. any entomologists out there feel free to correct me.

It does seem that the names cleg and horsefly are used fairly indiscriminately for any of these beasts depending on where you go.

Whatever you call them they're vicious! :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE