Do you have a Vango trek mat or Alpkit dirtbag ?.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Calurix

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 12, 2010
Moray, Scotland
I'm looking to getting a sleeping mat. Until now I have always used a closed cell mat.

Has anyone used either of the mats in the title ?.

Are they any good ?.

Will they be suitable for using with a hammock ?.

Regards,
Calurix

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
They'll both be fine in a hammock if you just half inflate them, an underblanket is the best way though.

Calurix

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 12, 2010
Moray, Scotland
Ive not tried hammocking before so it is all new. I got one and a tarp on the group buy.

Can you tell me what an underblanket is :eek: all I can picture is an actual blanket.

I'm hoping to use new mat (maybe underblanket now) for hiking.

Regards,
Calurix

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
An underblanket is a blanket that is strung under the hammock so you don't compress what ever is in the underblanket.
I have a down filled underblanket made by unsponsored on here.
If you search the forum for underquilt or underblanket you will find pics of one set up.

gregor-scott

Nomad
Apr 26, 2010
bournemouth
I have been using a Thermarest for a while now and found it really good, it's actually going if your interested ;) posted in the swap shop. anyway I'm on underquilt now and I can confirm they are a million times better, was so warm I just use my sleeping bag as a top quilt now, no need to get into it, which as we know is a pain when hammocking.

Calurix

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 12, 2010
Moray, Scotland
I decided to go with the Alpkit Dirtbag, As I have never used a hammock before if I dont like it I can still use the mat. Roll on the weekend to give it an outdoor tryout.

Thanks for the feedback about the Dirtbag.

ATB,
Calurix

Last edited:

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Its a no no for hiking, but i let one of the guys use my extra large reindeer skin when the temperature was well beneath zero and he said he was toasty warm all night. Best nights sleep he ever had in a hammock. But in the interests of fairness, i feel i would be remiss in not pointing out it might have been his first nights kip in a hammock.

Colin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE