Do any trackers know what this jelly is?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
I've noticed bits of jelly lying around in tablespoon-sized heaps and wonder if any of you know what makes it? Mostly, it's lumpy jelly a bit like frog spawn with no eggs in it:

attachment.php

but I did see one heap of squiggly jelly as well:

attachment.php

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
A lot of frogs being eaten at the moment as they have died in ponds during the big freeze and are floating to the surface. This makes them easy pickings for a meal.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Wow, mystery star-jelly! Amazing what people come up with when there is a hint of unknown - thanks locum76. I guess maybe the squiggly jelly could be frog intestines, as Jonathan suggests, I only saw one area of those. The other jelly is in rather large quantities and is up the top of one of our fields, so I think it's extremely unlikely there are that many frogs up there. I think I'll keep an eye on that mystery jelly site and see what ideas people come up with :)

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Yes, there's lots of the lumpy jelly stuff. But the squiggly stuff I think you're probably right and they're intestines? It was separate to the lumpy stuff although around at the same time. Next time I see it, I'll take a photo of a larger area so you can see quantities a bit better.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Yes, there's lots of the lumpy jelly stuff. But the squiggly stuff I think you're probably right and they're intestines? It was separate to the lumpy stuff although around at the same time. Next time I see it, I'll take a photo of a larger area so you can see quantities a bit better.

Give it a lick. Although do it just before you type in case it goes wrong. Weird that. I'd love to know what's causing it. Does it smell of anything?

horsevad

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2009
Denmark
First picture is the remains of the reproductive organ from a female frog. Last picture could be intestines, or small parts of the reproductive organs before they swell up. They have most likely been eaten by a buzzard - they try to avoid eating the female reproductive organ, as the mucosal coating inside the reproductive organs swell up when mixed with water. The phenomenon is quite common; but dosent last quite long - the jelly-like apperance degrads quite fast.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
First picture is the remains of the reproductive organ from a female frog. Last picture could be intestines, or small parts of the reproductive organs before they swell up. They have most likely been eaten by a buzzard - they try to avoid eating the female reproductive organ, as the mucosal coating inside the reproductive organs swell up when mixed with water. The phenomenon is quite common; but dosent last quite long - the jelly-like apperance degrads quite fast.

Foxes also do this. We used to get it every year close to a pond which was packed with frogs. There were no birds of prey around, but plenty of foxes.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Interesting. I like the preditor theory (or was that fact?). We had similar around our pond in early February a few years back. The local reptile/amphibian 'expert' from the Wildlife Trust at the time said they believed it to be expelled frog spawn because of weather related miss-timing. I think I am inclined to believe the crow/fox/etc. theory.

Regards,

Broch

Last edited:

horsevad

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2009
Denmark
There are some jelly fungi that look like the first picture, including transparent ones.

Normally, these primitive "jelly-like" fungus would be more yellow-like or even milky-clouded in their apperance. I agree, that such things are difficult to conclude with 100% certanity, but I still stand by my original explanation.

However, if the photos could be posted in higher resolution, including real close-op photos, it might help in order to achieve greater certanity.

As far as I know, the three most common "jelly-like" fungi are the Tremella Mesenterica (former known as lutescens) , the Myxarium Nucleatum and the Exidia Thuretiana.

Judging from the pictures the phenomenon in picture 1 exhibit a greater degree of actual transparence than I would expect from any of the fungi.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I agree the frog theory does seem the most likely. Just thought I'd mention the fungi in case the possibility had been overlooked. Thanks for the added detail horsevad. Yet again I learn something on the forum :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE