DIY Woodburner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Here's a bit of DIY that's not so traditional. I saw Twodog's Kifaru stove from the States and was really impressed at the pack size and lightness of it...the only thing I didn't like was the pricetag when I saw the site. Cliff was kind enough to let me borrow his for a close look so I figured I'd have a go at one.

The following is definately different enough to not be served with cease and desist papers by Kifaru. The aim was a stove that folds down and is simple to use. Lightweight was also on the cards but I couldn't source the magic steel Kifaru use so I failed on that hurdle.

It's in .9mm stainless, here it is folded down, this is everything apart from the flue;

2013-01-21115855_zps2f13561c.jpg

The following pic shows the snow base on the right, the top at the front of the pic, the two sides on the left, the folding base with front and back in the centre;

2013-01-21120229_zpsde85e21a.jpg

Up next you can see it folded out and the sides waiting to go on;

2013-01-21120254_zpsdd0f9553.jpg

Sides on waiting for the top now;

2013-01-21120346_zpsd86624cb.jpg

Top on;

2013-01-21120408_zps007aecc2.jpg

The legs get threaded in to the top plate to make it nice and stable;

2013-01-21120534_zps01423c97.jpg

All assembled with the snow base apart from a flue;

2013-01-21120801_zps52b91b59.jpg

I've not tried it yet as I haven't got a flue sorted just yet. That's next on the agenda then it'll be a weekend of burning white hot to see how it holds up. If it passes that test then the MKII will be made with improvements. As I couldn't source the strong but wafer thin steel Kifaru use this turned out to be a bit of a pie eater on the scales.

It weighs in at 3211 grams without the snow base and 3758 with it. That spells epic fail on the lightweight attempt so it's back to the drawing board for the hikers I'm afraid. This one is for the car camps. Saying that so is my tipi so perhaps it's not a complete failure afterall. Thanks for looking and feel free to chip in with what I should have done better or could have done different, it'll make the MKII better!

Cheers, Chad :D

Last edited:

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
That's awesome. Would love to see it running. I bet you'd sell them...

Cheers fella. I too would like to see it burning right now! Brassic but I'll be on the creep for some 3" stainless pipe until I can find the magic steel...

What was the steel used?

Liam

Sent from my ST21i using Tapatalk 2

It's 1mm stainless steel. Well, just under 1mm.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
that looks rather smart - what's the sie of it put together?

I'll have to get back to you on that with exact measurements, can't remember off the top of my head.

I think you'll also need a plate to channel the heat to the front before it all goes up the chimney...

That'll be in the form of a damper where the flue will go on so it's adjustable. Don't want to lose all that heat!

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
The best place I've found to get the tube steel from is Titanium Goat - http://www.titaniumgoat.com/pipe-parts.html (I think Cliff sourced his pipe from the same place) Go for the stainless - its a third or the price of titanium! You might also like to look at their damper and spark arrestor kits, assuming you've got a 3" hole in your top-plate! You might also like to think about adding some holes at the bottom of the front plate - gives a better burn than having them on the door. But that is a seriously impressive looking stove you've got there!

What size diameter are your legs? The ones on my Seekoutside Ti Large stove look a bit flimsy, and I might need to look at something a bit more robust.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I'll have to get back to you on that with exact measurements, can't remember off the top of my head.

That'll be in the form of a damper where the flue will go on so it's adjustable. Don't want to lose all that heat!

Actually, I've found with both my kifaru s.s and Seekoutside titanium stoves that the pipe cools considerably as it approaches the top of the tipi, even on full chat, whilst at the same time the bottom of the pipes are glowing red-hot. So I'm guessing that the large percentage of the heat is actually radiated by the time it reaches the top of the tipi, so I'm not sure baffles would be really worth the effort.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Oh, and another thing - you might want to look at using wing-nuts to tighten the legs to the underside of the stove - makes it easier to both assemble and disassemble...

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
A further thought for what its worth! If you could use relatively light rods just to fix the top and bottom together (ie don't extend them to double up as legs), you could mount much sturdier legs on the sides with through-bolts, as Titanium goat do with their box stoves. I can't help feel that this is a bit of a design weakness with both the Kifaru and SO stoves. The last thing you want is the stove toppling over in your laavu with 4 litres of stew on the top because the legs gave way!

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
All food for thought Andy! Thanks for the link. Is that the magic steel I'm after that rolls down to nothing then back on itself? If so I'll be getting some asap. If it is the stuff I want you reckon the stainless is the way forward?

The legs on this are just M6 allthread so 6mm I guess.

It is a 3" hole for the flue and yes the draw holes should be nearer the bottom as opposed to the top of the door. That will be a definate change on MKII, it's a boring story on how they ended up where they did...

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Noce work Chad looks good. I do like the flip up front and rear with piano hinge. This will add weight but make it less fidly going together.
I prefer the leg assembly on the TitaniumGoat model but not sure about having to use self tapping screws to hold it together. Awkward using a screwdriver when its cold and if you loose the screws well your screwed really.

Looking forward to seeing it in action and if this weather continues you will need it when out.
Curious to the size the TG is roughly 8x8x15 and Ti helps the weight.
There is a company over here that supplies the stainless foil (shim steel i believe)http://www.hollinbrow.co.uk/hollinbrow/final.asp?id=10

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Noce work Chad looks good. I do like the flip up front and rear with piano hinge. This will add weight but make it less fidly going together.
I prefer the leg assembly on the TitaniumGoat model but not sure about having to use self tapping screws to hold it together. Awkward using a screwdriver when its cold and if you loose the screws well your screwed really.

Looking forward to seeing it in action and if this weather continues you will need it when out.
Curious to the size the TG is roughly 8x8x15 and Ti helps the weight.
There is a company over here that supplies the stainless foil (shim steel i believe)http://www.hollinbrow.co.uk/hollinbrow/final.asp?id=10

Cheers John. This one is the same size as Cliff's stove, whatever that is. I'll have a measure in the morning. I was looking at shim steel over here and it was silly money for small amounts and I wasn't sure if it would roll either way without memory. I'll call that link you put up and have a chat tomorrow hopefully. I'll get it Statesides if need be but would rather source it this side of the pond for obvious reasons.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
From what i remember its available heat treated or annealed. Yeah its pricey but still cheaper than buying from the US.
If you do decide to buy from the US i will order some and we could split the costs of shipping and import duties.
I have just ordered my Stainless sheet so will be having a go when it arrives.
Did you have any difficulties bending it with such small folds?

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Nice work Chad, looks very professional and would be just the thing at a meet until the lighter one is done.
The AT-AT weighs a lot but half the fun is not shelling out loads of coin and also making them yourself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE