DIY Winter Hat and Goggles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
Thought i would try something different this weekend so with a shearling fleece i bought off ebay for £9 and a piece of birch i made a nice winter hat and goggles. The hat was made from 3 pieces of fleece sewn together with thonging, very simple and extemely warm, i got the pattern from a book i bought off ebay for 99p ( I am not advertising ebay here)
The goggles took a bit longer but i have always wanted to take a bash at them since seeing Ray use them on one of his programmes.
shearlinghatandgoogles.jpg

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
mmcniven said:
Thought i would try something different this weekend so with a shearling fleece i bought off ebay for £9 and a piece of birch i made a nice winter hat and goggles. The hat was made from 3 pieces of fleece sewn together with thonging, very simple and extemely warm, i got the pattern from a book i bought off ebay for 99p ( I am not advertising ebay here)
The goggles took a bit longer but i have always wanted to take a bash at them since seeing Ray use them on one of his programmes.
shearlinghatandgoogles.jpg

Hi mate,
Great work! :You_Rock_
I would like to fix some goggles for myself and wonder how to start.
Can you tell me please how you got the form bend so nicely fitting the head?
cheers
Abbe

:chill:

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Marvelous,those goggles really look good.Reckon i may have a go at that myself.

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
To get the goggles to fit your head you will need some fairly stiff wire which you can bend to the shape of your forehead, i used some copper wire. You can then transfer this shape to a suitable rectangular block of wood. Bandsaw this shape out then cut out the section for your nose. This gives you a rough shape as the goggles sit just at the bottom of your eye brows so the shape wont be exact but close enough. It is then a case of gradually fitting it to your face by carving away at high spots. When this is fairly good i carved out the shape of the eyes and did some final fitting before sanding and finishing. Remember to leave sections at the side which you can drill and fit a leather lace to for securing in place.
Good luck, if you need any other photos or help let me know.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
mmcniven said:
To get the goggles to fit your head you will need some fairly stiff wire which you can bend to the shape of your forehead, i used some copper wire. You can then transfer this shape to a suitable rectangular block of wood. Bandsaw this shape out then cut out the section for your nose. This gives you a rough shape as the goggles sit just at the bottom of your eye brows so the shape wont be exact but close enough. It is then a case of gradually fitting it to your face by carving away at high spots. When this is fairly good i carved out the shape of the eyes and did some final fitting before sanding and finishing. Remember to leave sections at the side which you can drill and fit a leather lace to for securing in place.
Good luck, if you need any other photos or help let me know.

Hi
thanks for helping me out, now I understand much better how to start.
cool
cheers
Abbe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE