DIY spark-resistant fleece?

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
While reading the Dangerous Book for Boys, I found a section that describes how to use alum and water to make cloth fire-resistant.

One of the downsides of open campfires is their tendency to issue sparks that burn holes in fleece material, but fleeces are both cheap and warm which makes 'em ideal for roughing it around a campsite.

Has anyone tried soaking a cheap fleece in alum solution to help ward off spark damage? The guides I've read so far suggest the cloth won't be altered significantly, but it should resist the occasional spark.

If no-one's tried it I might just crack on a give it a whirl!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This method is used for curtains and the like where there is very little handling.
Alum is not advisable when used near skin, and especially near mucous membranes. It's incredibly drying......it's the major ingredient in styptic pencils.
Borax used to be used for the same type of anti flare properties but new guidelines prohibit it's use near skin too.......and we used to use the stuff to clean babies eyes and make cold creams :rolleyes:

Modern fleece fabrics just aren't really the stuff to wear near fires or sparks, they're very comfortable and easily cared for, but they damage very easily. Probably why the wool shirts and jackets are so popular with bushcrafters.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE