[DIY] Hammock Quilt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Thought I'd post details of the hammock quilt that my lovely wife has just made. The design was based on the excellent instructions given at http://www.kickassquilts.com. Thanks Patrick.

The material and most of the bits and bobs were obtained from Point North (now http://www.profabrics.co.uk/) for a cost of about £60. I over ordered some of the bits, so I suspect to make another one would be about £50 in materials.

I say loosely based as Point North were able to supply pre-quilted wadding which was used for the insulation. The inside is thermofill quilted onto nylon (forest green), the outside waterproof breathable nylon (black). They'll send samples if you ask. Mandy's pretty handy with the sewing machine and we think this took her about six hours total and then I messed about for an hour or so with the shockcord and hanging points.

I weighed it last night and it's 1158g in an old sleeping bag stuff sack. I'll be trying it out on Saturday night, but I suspect the weather's got too warm to really test it. Hopefully I'll have some better photos of it in place on the hammock though. These photos of the manufacture process should (hopefully) be self explanatory.

IMG_3063.jpg

IMG_3064.jpg

IMG_3066.jpg

IMG_3067.jpg

IMG_3068.jpg

IMG_3069.jpg

IMG_3070.jpg

IMG_3088.jpg

IMG_3091.jpg

IMG_3092.jpg

IMG_3093.jpg

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Very good Scanker.
Is the intention to do away with the thermorest and replace it with this?
Or are you hoping it will replace the sleeping bag as well?

Let us know how it goes.

Mark

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'll definitely do away with the thermarest. I'll be using a sleeping bag this weekend. I suppose when the weather's warmer you could use a quilt on top too (in the hammock). I remember a thread somewhere about using a quilt instead of a sleeping bag, I'll have to look for it.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Scanker,
Well that looks a lot easier than some of the tutorials I've seen on the web. Is it the same length as a sleeping bag or does it fully enclose the bottom of the hammock?

I can't get the Kickass link to work!

Ogri the trog

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
It's quite a bit longer than a sleeping bag - 230 cm iirc. There's a pattern at the kickass quilts site, but the site seems to be down at the moment.

I'll post a link when it's back up. It's "assymetrically coffin-shaped" and off the top of my head, I think it's 24" at the foot, 30" at the head and 90" long.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
That looks great! very professional. What is the waterproof material on the outside? Also, how many inches of loft does it have?
Underquilts take a little bit of setting up so that you aren't either compressing the insulation, or that you haven't got an air gap between the quilt and the hammock. But once you've got it sorted, they're so much more comfortable than a pad.

Again, congrats.

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
That's very nice. I made one out of an old sleeping bag which I cut in half (well 1/3rd and 2/3rds). It works well enough but is as ugly as sin. If your wife does things like that for you, she's certainly a keeper :)

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
If its warm enough, that thing will block most of the winds that chill and you should be just fine with a quilt on the inside of the hammock or even just a good blanket. I managed to get a fleece blanket that is warm and nice as hell and packs down to pretty much nothing.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
That really does look the part,let us know how you get on with it once tested.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Here are a couple of better photos of the quilt on the hammock:

img_3110.jpg

img_3108.jpg

I was really pleased with the performance. I didn't measure the temperature but it was supposed to get as low as 5C in the night. I was using a lightweight sleeping bag and found that I was a bit cold on the top, but my back was beautifully toasty, so it worked a treat.

scanker,

That looks fantastic, great job. E-mail or PM me your address and I'll send you a t-shirt.

Sorry, the site's been down. My ISP went south on me this weekend. It's back up now and there should no longer be any problems.

Again, great work. Keep the reports coming as you use it.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
scanker said:
It's quite a bit longer than a sleeping bag - 230 cm iirc. There's a pattern at the kickass quilts site, but the site seems to be down at the moment.

I'll post a link when it's back up. It's "assymetrically coffin-shaped" and off the top of my head, I think it's 24" at the foot, 30" at the head and 90" long.

Hmmm,
Still confused as my sleeping bag is 235 cm including hood. Perhaps I need to play with some measurements.

Off to see Kickass Patrick's site ;)

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE