Disgusting but does it work ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I was reading a book recently called "mutant message down under" .It was more of a spiritual read than full of bushcraft as i was hoping , but there is one thing that makes ma gag at the thought of it ,but i still have to know if this would work ? So if you offend easily , Dent read any more !! This applies if you are eating too !!

As the author of the book explains " the women of the group would bring something packed in a leaf back to the "Healer" she would put this into one end of a tube" . She figures out latter in the book that these are Menstrual clots !!!!!!

If thats not gross enough read on .

A few days later one of the group falls and breaks a leg badly . the bone is pushing through the skin! So the group go about fixing it . firstly they pull the leg to the correct position so that the bone can knit . then the healer opens the other end of the tube and removes a black tar which she put on the open wound liberally !The leg was given a temporay splint and the man got up and carried on with the walkabout !After a few days the tar crumbled off leaving a healed scar .
What do you think on the medicinal qualitys of this by- product is this possible ? I know its gross and not something i would carry (i think customs would have a field day , or not!) but is this good enough to prevent stiches ?
What was going through the first persons mind when they decided to try it ?
Hope you found this interesting
Pumbaa

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Don't know about gross but I would think that contaminating the wound with old tissue would lead to an infection pretty quickly. Not something I would be willing to try.

SARHound

Jan 28, 2005
Canada
It must have worked or they wouldn't be doing it.

Who are we to argue over 10,000 years of aboriginal success.

why it works? Who knows :?: .

There are traditional medical practices that have been used since the dawn of man and scientists today have no understanding why they work or even that they exist.

If I had a compound fracture in the middle of the bush with no help available they can slop on whatever they would like as the atlernative is worse.

Skam

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
SARHound said:

There are traditional medical practices that have been used since the dawn of man and scientists today have no understanding why they work or even that they exist.

If I had a compound fracture in the middle of the bush with no help available they can slop on whatever they would like as the atlernative is worse.

Skam

Not always a good idea to trust them (the traditional medical practices) mate. In the 19th century on St Kilda 84 out of 125 children born were dead of umbilical sepsis within 2 weeks of birth. This was caused by the tradition of anointing the umbilicus of newborns with cattle dung!
Must have seemed like a good idea at the time but it was only stopped when a church minister with a bit of knowledge came to the island and explained about bacterial infection.

the old ways aren't always the best.

george

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Medicine is a science based on trial and error and probability - you try something to see what happens. If it doesn't work, or makes things worse, you can usually tell. But if it works, and then those results are repeatable (maybe with many failures along the way) then it's seen as having a beneficial effect and soemthing "worth trying" or "better than nothing". If you have access to very little then something that gives you a 5% additional chance of survival is indeed "better than nothing". Over the years new technologies and methods replaced the older ones, with the newer ones giving the patient a greater chance of survival. Something that gives you a 5% chances of survival is replaced by something that gives a little more, which is itself replaced by something better.

In the 21st century, something that gives a patient a 5% chance of survival compared to a modern technique that gives you a far greater chance, is seen as a bad gamble. So for even simple stuff like headaches, eating chalk or chewing willow bark gave way to aspirin, paracetamol and ibuprofen ...

Also remember - just because a "remedy" or "cure" is listed here, no one at bcUK is making any statement as to their suitability or safety. If at all possible, seek professional advice, if that's not possible, then the choices are yours!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I had heard of this, not for a broken leg but to encourage the setting and healing of a wound. Think "Doctrine of Signatures". They wanted to encourage a wound to clot and heal and they didn't have elastoplast or butterfly stitches. There was also a kind of magic about mentrual blood, bleeding but from no wound. Different times, different cultures.
Does it work? No idea, but there's more than just blood in mentrual discharge.
Toddy

Toddy said:
I had heard of this, not for a broken leg but to encourage the setting and healing of a wound. Think "Doctrine of Signatures". They wanted to encourage a wound to clot and heal and they didn't have elastoplast or butterfly stitches. There was also a kind of magic about mentrual blood, bleeding but from no wound. Different times, different cultures.
Does it work? No idea, but there's more than just blood in mentrual discharge.
Toddy

Only to vampires :?:

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
SARHound said:

Skam

From everything I have read, that book is a total and absolute FAKE. The author seemed to take American indian customs and described placed them there! Even used NAMES that were not used there!

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
jamesraykenney said:
From everything I have read, that book is a total and absolute FAKE. The author seemed to take American indian customs and described placed them there! Even used NAMES that were not used there!

A fiction then eh? :eek:):

Anyone live in the area so that they can actually talk to a healer and see if there's any validity to it?

The traditional healers methods of healing included nurturing not only the body, but keeping the spiritual contact high and having family and friends around for the emotional support. I get a great deal of strength from my spiritual contact through prayer and ceremony and gain much comfort from my family which includes our tribe of fellow creatures that honor us by living with us. :wink:

hootchi

Settler
George

I think that might work as a type of evolution, 'survival of the fittest'. If the infants have a strong enough immune system to overcome the infection, they will grow to strong and healty adults.

Sounds cruel but no point attempting to raise children in that type of extreme hardship to find they will not survive an infection later in their childhood.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Hootchie

I hear what you're saying - but in the case I'm talking about it was probably down to ignorance. Look here for more info: www.kilda.org.uk Life there was no harder than many other places on the fringes of the uk and most of these other places didn't put their kids through some sort of "trial by infection"!

George

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The original intention of the use of the cow dung was fine....strange though it may seem....it literally does help to dry off the cord and prevent infection, BUT....only if the gut bacteria is right.....somehow, the St. Kilda cattle acquired the 'wrong' type of bacteria and that was what was behind the sudden, and it was sudden, horrendous numbers of infant deaths. The minister at the time (can't remember his name, must find my books, they're up the loft) was quite right to create such a fuss over the continued use of a traditional practise. The problem was that because the practice 'used' to work the local women were very reluctant to discontinue it's use. Tradition had (has?) a tremendous hold on the mindset of many peoples.

Work parties go over every year to St. Kilda; archaeology, army, historic, rspb, they do take volunteers, but I believe they expect you to pay something towards the costs. Wonderfully remote though.....could we not just buy an island?

Toddy (having a break from 16th century corsetry :wink: )

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
SARHound said:

Not so, many practices do work, but many make matters worse (sometimes much worse) and are based in a misguided belief in folklore, old wives tales and the blessings of whatever gods you worship.

I would not, under any circumstances, let someone put old menstrual clots onto an open wound of mine.

If you belief in "the wisdom of the ancients" is that unquestioned, go right ahead. But if you develop a sepsis, loose you leg or worse, dont say you weren't warned.

I would caution anyone letting thier reverance for the "old ways" blind them to the fact that many of the old ways were steeped in ignorant mysticism. The leves of disease, infant mortality, disfiguremet, and mortality have NEVER been lower than they are today. ;)

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
pumbaa said:
firstly they pull the leg to the correct position so that the bone can knit . then the healer opens the other end of the tube and removes a black tar which she put on the open wound liberally !The leg was given a temporay splint and the man got up and carried on with the walkabout !After a few days the tar crumbled off leaving a healed scar .
Pumbaa

a·poc·ry·phal ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-pkr-fl)
adj.
Of questionable authorship or authenticity.
Erroneous; fictitious: “Wildly apocryphal rumors about starvation in Petrograd... raced through Russia's trenches” (W. Bruce Lincoln

Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2003
On the subject of the medecines of indiginous peoples not always being the best move...

I spent some time with a tribe in the South Pacific last year. We were introduced to a woman (i forget her name) who was a relative of the family i was staying with. She had been suffering from an eye problem (possibly as mundane as short sightedness), she resorted to 'kastom' medicine and is now blind after some bright spark decided to annoint it with lime (of the agricultural variety).

Strangely enough, they found this terribly funny. :confused:

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Stuart said:
this book is not only a complete work of fiction, but has caused an uproar in australia.

please see the following link:

http://trackertrail.com/mutantmessage/index.html

What an extraordinary link, thanks for that Stuart. People are desperate to find some spiritual depth to their own lives, they continually seek solace and inspiration in other 'tribes' as if they hold some knowledge and insight that we don't, and are eager to believe anything with some degree of mysticism that romanticises yet again native communities, and it's the same with 'old' medicine. But native peoples still warred, they still had their medical traditions that may have killed rather than healed. We forget that we already have our own traditions and community, we simply choose to ignore it, our neighbours, friends, family etc etc. We have access to better medicine, better healthcare, but saying that, I do believe that old medical traditions should not be forgotten, because they can truly help and their magic has largely been forgotten. Magic that can be used and interpreted in a sensible, scientific way as well as an esoteric way. We simply have to ensure that we're not seduced by romanticism and assume that just because it was used in the old ways, it works..!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE