Discreet, it isn't.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
The old sailormen were fond of decorated fancywork and used just whatever they could find. They liked gaudy "flash", in a big way.

Here's a "ship-finish" (ie. rough handed) deck knife, made from one of those Frosts stainless thingys.

sailor_stuff.jpg

Its main covering, is "grafting", for which I used thongs cut from Bushyboo's old seteee.
A couple of Turks heads and a finial of needle hitching.

The case has a simple Turks head mat and, its the logo of a well known authority on knotwork.

Ha Har! Jim lad!

Thanks for looking

Ceeg

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
The work (and concentration :Wow: ) which must have gone into the graft and turrks heads:wow1: - very impressive!

I don't suppose you'd consider doing a tutorial? :D (I'll understand if you say NO!)

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Thats great! It provides me with the motivation to have yet another go at doing a turks head. This time though maybe I'll just try something simple and not try to run before I can walk!

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Great work. That needle hitching and fancy knot/rope work really stands out. I have a buddy who does a lot of it on knife handles, lanyards, keyrings, and also on the sailor's Ditty Bags that he hand-stitches up out of canvas. He even goes so far as to "tar" lots of the rope/knot work with Stockholm tar. He does this to replicate Brit sailor's items from the 1700's and early 1800's.

Here's a pic of some of that ... sailor's grafitti ... he did on one of the 1600's to 1800 sheet iron trade pipes that I make. (It's mine, and showing a bunch of the dirt/grim from carrying it about and using it) The iron pipes are pretty much in the same shape/size as the clay ones most people have seen - just hammered/rolled up out of sheet iron. Original artifacts have been found here in North America from the early 1600's on up into the 1800's, and from down along the Gulf Coast, up through the eastern half of the US, and across most of lower Canada.

IronPipes2.jpg

I've done a few small bits of needlehitching, plaiting, and fancy knots - just enough to know that I'd rather be out blacksmithing instead.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. A traditional sailor's knife of old had to have the Point removed - according to various ship's regulations. This had two purposes. The first was to help keep from knicking the sail or other ropes when working/cutting on a repair job. The other reason was so that the sailors did not STAB each other during a ... physical discussion. So those 18th century sailors could have a personal knife, but the point had to be broke/ground off. That's also why so many sailors carried a knifew with a Sheepsfoot style blade. Now, that "blunted" knife blade could still be used to cut somebody, but not used to stab them.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Hey up! Mike.
I have never before seen such pipes as those. Amazing!

Yup, a "docked" knifepoint was the norm, for many reasons: sailslash, fighting and the odd accident.
In practical terms, on ships ,I think they are better "users" too; but nobody ever seems to mention that.

But , hey! get this one.......I understand that some rigworkers cannot be permitted to have a sharp, unless they,ve done a sharp tool safety course. ...(sits back and waits for the riot)

Ceeg

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Thanks for the kind words, guys.

I came across several pictures of original sheet iron and sheet brass pipes in some books and museum exhibits when I was looking for other Fur Trade era iron trade goods to make. I was surprised at just how far back they went here in North America - as long as those clay pipes did.

These are all cold-forged to shape. I cut my pattern out of about 20 guage sheet iron, smooth out the edges, and then start hammering. I did re-shape an old chisel/punch to make the form for the inside of the bowl. And I use a small swedge block to help round up the stem - a metal block with several sized half-round grooves in it. I tried using a 1/4 inch rod as an inside form to roll the stem up around, but it ended up being easier to just hammer it together. Bending the angle between the bowl and the stem narrows the base of the bowl down pretty good for keeping the tobacco in the bowl without making it too hard to draw. It's a bit tricky doing it, but practice makes perfect. When I'm finished hammering them to shape and smoothing/sanding the outside, I run a little bead of Elmer's White Glue along the seam to help seal it. The originals were not soldered or welded, so I don't do that to these. In use, they "gunk up" inside anyway and that seals the seam naturally. In use, they do tend to get a bit hot around the bowl. But so do the clay pipes. There was one brass version dug up at a Seneca Indian village site up in New York State dated to the lat 1600's that still had the stem partially wrapped in some cattail reed. A very interesting project. And they are a whole lot harder to break than those clay pipes!

That little heat when holding it was part of the reason my buddy decided to do that "sailor's grafitti" on the stem of mine. He did the same on his. It adds a bunch of extra "character", and we don't have to worry so much about burning fingertips. And the best part is that they smoke right about the same as those classic white clay trade pipes.

Just another little ... historical fur trade item to tinker with.

p.s. The pattern is pretty simple. The top long edge is straight from stem to bowl end. The other edge slowly tapers from end to bowl, and then flairs out for enough metal for the bowl. The profile of that bowl part kind of looks like the profile of a classic tomahawk with a wide sweep along the cutting edge down to a point. If you want to try making your own, I could scan in the pattern with a measuring stick for scale. The iron in a heavy coffee/bean can is a bit thin, but will work - and a little easier to work. Plus, there also were some original "tin" ones - about the thickness of those coffee/bean cans. A half/round slightly tapering groove filed/carved into a wood block would make a great bottom swage to hammer into. Let me know if you want me to post the pattern and I'll scan it it.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Let me know if you want me to post the pattern and I'll scan it.

Yes please Mike. That's something I'm definitely going to make. I won't be able to use it in period - too early for tobacco, but I do smoke a pipe anyway and it'll be handy in the ditty bag for sly smoke breaks behind the demo tent. The clay ones keep breaking in my bag. If I can find a mountainman group here in the UK, I'd be able to have a smoke while demonstrating stuff.

Eric

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Hi, Eric.

Here's the scan of the pattern.

PipePatterns.jpg

The pipe bowl is just a shortened version of the full length pipe. And the long stem can be lengthened if desired. I sized the pipe bowl to have a 1/4 inch opening for use of a reed or cane stem. The modified chisel/punch leaves a bowl diameter of 5/8 inch in diameter, and 1 inch tall. Some of the originals had a true cone shape to the bowl. And the tops were cut off square, or in the same plane as the stem.

Too early for tobacco? Hmmm ... you must be doing Middle Ages demos. And I haven't heard any accounts of the Vikings bringing any tobacco back from Vineland. So unless you push the time period for your demos up to at least the 1500's, it is a bit too early.

They are still pretty ... neat.

Have fun ... tinkering.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Cheers mate, I appreciate it. My time period is from late iron age right up to Viking (but I don't do Roman). If I was a Druid, or had Shamanic tendencies, I might get away with a pipe if I smoked herbs and dried crushed Fly Agaric to aid my visions, but I think I'd get chucked out of the group if I started smoking magic mushrooms. There is evidence of pipes being used for Shamanic rituals way back into pre history.

Eric

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
hey mike have you any links to those trade craft sites? were there any trade arrow points?

Hi. Yes there were lots of iron arrowheads in many styles traded to the Indians - also in copper and brass. I have a number of books with examples in them, just not any links. But I also haven't gone looking for web sites with pics/descriptions/documentation for arrowheads.

But you might check out the Trade Goods of New France web site. http://www.lanouvelle-france.com/

Great pics/measurements/documentation of original guns, knives, axes, kettles, flint strikers from most areas of easter/central Canada and the north and eastern areas of the US on out through the Great Lakes. Kevin might have added some arrowheads in the Misc. section.

One place you might want to check out would be the Viking Answer Lady web site. She might have some pics. www.vikinganswerlady.com I've only looked at the Viking era flint strikers on her web site so far - under the Technology section.

Otherwise you might check out some of the Primitive Archery sites. But, like I said, I have not gone looking for them.

Good luck in your search.

p.s. Yeah, Eric, sometimes the specific time period we are trying to emulate can be at odds with some ... neat gear ... that we want. And when we ... stray ... from our chose time periods for one things, it often starts another whole project in that new time period. Fun to do, but can get a little confusing sometimes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE