Discoidal scraper

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you contact the local council they'll have details of the archaeology folk in the area.
Your site might be known, or not, but every bit of information adds to the whole widespead picture we build of the past :)

Fun things to find, they stir up the brain to research and often to practical experimentation too :)

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
There common finds where I live between Derby & Burton.
I will forward the information to the local group.
I once butchered a squirrel with a found flint as an experiment..I was surprised by how efficient & effective it was.
To think it may off been used around 10,000 years ago or more gave me a tremendous feeling inside with lots off questions surrounding it?

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nice find, could you do some pics showing the thing stood alone rather than being held?

We find worked flint all the time round here, best one i ever found was a scraper in the garden, i was tying back some New Zealand flax and needed to cut the garden twine but didn't have a knife on me, so i looked around, saw a bit of flint, picked it up and bingo, it cut the twine beautifully, upon closer inspection you could see all the tell tale signs of being made by a human hand. I took it to the local museum and they identified it as a Neolithic scraper, approx 6000 years old, i've often wondered if it was lost or discarded, blows your mind to be holding something that old, that was made by another person, a real connection to the past.

My two ultimate ones though were held but not on show at the museum, the curator went out back and came back with a box, inside were a couple of hand axes, one a mere 250k years old, the other 500k

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have never found a flint tool of any sort - so I envy you - but I have made a fair few of those scrapers! They are surprisingly easy to make - if not they would have been well beyond my skills - so probably made in their millions and there are probably still loads to be found out there :) Have fun looking :D
Our little gang of bushcrafters (South Wales Bushcrafters) once hired Carl Lee to give us a weekends knapping instruction, during which we butchered a pig carcase with stone tools ... it was easy work :)

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Nice find, could you do some pics showing the thing stood alone rather than being held?

We find worked flint all the time round here, best one i ever found was a scraper in the garden, i was tying back some New Zealand flax and needed to cut the garden twine but didn't have a knife on me, so i looked around, saw a bit of flint, picked it up and bingo, it cut the twine beautifully, upon closer inspection you could see all the tell tale signs of being made by a human hand. I took it to the local museum and they identified it as a Neolithic scraper, approx 6000 years old, i've often wondered if it was lost or discarded, blows your mind to be holding something that old, that was made by another person, a real connection to the past.

My two ultimate ones though were held but not on show at the museum, the curator went out back and came back with a box, inside were a couple of hand axes, one a mere 250k years old, the other 500k
I’m not the best at photos.
Note it is flat on one face & slightly rounded the other,so I think the flat darker side is the outside of the flint nodule.
I wonder if it was for cutting/ slicing or scraping.. I would off thought the latter as the name suggests(discoidal scraper)3E9CDED7-05D2-40C3-8B68-287CE9DE9DD7.jpegEE0C8B46-AB64-408D-A435-4BA7A33A05F0.jpeg28B73630-1BEA-41AB-89FD-ADC822D414B2.jpeg

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Oh, I am jealous now.

i have always wanted to find a flint tool...no luck.
I’ve had a keen eye for scanning the ground around me for 35years of metal detecting,searching for old bottle dumps & shards of pottery in farmers fields.
With a little patients & learning what to look out for, you’ll quickly pick it up.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby

I to have always wondered if they were lost or discarded?
Judging by some off the deposits they must of been very busy around the camp fire.

Just noticed this one has what appears to have a side profile of a face.E5FABE59-2791-4E02-9738-76C8BDFC5B04.jpeg

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
How did they make these flakes?
I recently found a bit rough material and would like to make such a thing to play with it.
Should I hit on the stone or throw it on another or what?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You could look up Flint Knapping, and you might come across Youtube videos.

That said, I don't think anything beats a decent tutor showing you how, and demonstrating why, it works :)

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
How did they make these flakes?
I recently found a bit rough material and would like to make such a thing to play with it.
Should I hit on the stone or throw it on another or what?
Will Lord on YouTube is Mr prehistoric,He holds courses & can read stones like a book.
Did Some flint knapping with his dad..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE