Direction indicators

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
arctic hobo said:
Patience is a virtue as they say :nana:
But since you asked so nicely, it involves mountains, Nordic history, Greenland kayaks and lots of bushcraft. I'm not saying any more than that :tapedshut :eek:):

I know where there's a seaworthy Birlinn (Scottish version of a longship).....they managed the Irish sea ok, wonder if they fancy a go at the North? And the crew owe me some favours :)

"Patience is a virtue, possess it if you can,
You'll find it in a woman, but seldom in a man." :roll:

Okay, I'll be good.

Cheers,
Toddy

Kirruth

Forager
Apr 15, 2005
Reading
www.bayes.org.uk
Just reading this and one essential mode of direction-finding has been omitted (at least for urban dwellers). Satellite dishes always point south (as geostationary satellites are always placed over the equator)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Excellent point Kirruth, we often forget that bushcraft is something 'everyday' no matter where we are. Navigation can be hard in all environments and there's a broad scope of skills, and tricks to learn :D

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
As an aside,
Someone mentioned a few pages ago about farm-houses facing south (well, here in Blighty anyway). You'll find that if there is a pantry, it'll be on the northern side of the dwelling - being the coldest side away from any sun!

Good point about the satellite dishes Kirruth - could be of help when we get lost whilst driving!

Ogri the trog

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Motorbike Man said:
me too, especially as I seemed to contribute something to it.

Somehow :confused: :D

Hehehe folks, wish I could keep it top secret but it's too fun to. Well basically, think Norway, the Shetlands, the Faeroes, Iceland and Greenland - all the old Viking strongholds. Think the highest points of each (Galdhøpiggen, Ronas Hill, Slaettaratindur, Hvannadalshnúkur, and Gunnbjørn Fjeld). Think Greenland kayaks, think using only technology available 800+ years ago, think a mixture of mountaineering and tightened-belt flat-out sea crossings in absurdly unsuitable craft (one of which resides in our flat half-finished), and that's about what there is. All I need to do now is become superhumanly fit, find two more people the same, with a similarly insane mindset, get some sponsorship and wait for August 2007. :D

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Doing that too - that's why I'm on the computer all evening :rolleyes: Plus all the training, it's a wonder I have time to sleep never mind eat! :eek: Good news is I have a contract with a magazine starting October so I'm able to afford going back to college for a year next year (I took a really bad choice of A levels), although then I'll have even less time! Think I'm clinically insane :D

S

Skippy

most churches lay east - west, and apparently have a cross in the southern area.. don't know if thats still true

arctic hobo said:
Hehehe folks, wish I could keep it top secret but it's too fun to. Well basically, think Norway, the Shetlands, the Faeroes, Iceland and Greenland - all the old Viking strongholds. Think the highest points of each (Galdhøpiggen, Ronas Hill, Slaettaratindur, Hvannadalshnúkur, and Gunnbjørn Fjeld). Think Greenland kayaks, think using only technology available 800+ years ago, think a mixture of mountaineering and tightened-belt flat-out sea crossings in absurdly unsuitable craft (one of which resides in our flat half-finished), and that's about what there is. All I need to do now is become superhumanly fit, find two more people the same, with a similarly insane mindset, get some sponsorship and wait for August 2007. :D
Sounds like one huge adventure, almost wish I could go with you.

Almost ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE