Different edges ? Definitive explanation anyone ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tedmagnum

Tenderfoot
Nov 19, 2006
Wirral
Sorry to fill up the forum with basics or things which may have been covered in depth in the past (iv tried searching with little result) but...

Reading these posts I hear about different edges. Convex, scandi etc.

I have no bloody idea what these are. Google is not not help either.

Iv got a Falk. F1 and havnt sharpened it yet as I hear it has a convex edge and I dont want to ruin it incase it required any special treatment.

Iv got a full set of Japanese waterstones, a DC4 combo stone and a bench grinder.

Can anyone point me in the direction of learning about these edges and how to sharpen them correctly. ?

Many thanks as always

Ted (noob) :)

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
Excellent choice with the F1 (Dodges high velocity acorns :) )

The convex edge is the simplest of all to sharpen and usually takes a couple of minutes at most.

I have lost my ability to host my own video, but if there is an interest I can make one and put it on you tube or google video.

This will include the basic making of a sharpening system (cost about 5 GB Pounds) The technique of sharpening and the finishing off of the blade with a ceramic steel.

tedmagnum

Tenderfoot
Nov 19, 2006
Wirral
Simon E said:
Excellent choice with the F1 (Dodges high velocity acorns :) )

The convex edge is the simplest of all to sharpen and usually takes a couple of minutes at most.

I have lost my ability to host my own video, but if there is an interest I can make one and put it on you tube or google video.

This will include the basic making of a sharpening system (cost about 5 GB Pounds) The technique of sharpening and the finishing off of the blade with a ceramic steel.

:You_Rock_

That would be cool :)

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
tedmagnum said:
Ok..please ignore this thread !!

Iv found what i need and cant find the delete thread function !!

ta
Tell you what Ted don't delete, just edit your post with the link to your successfully located info cause I can't find it either and know bu**er all :D

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Have a search through posts by British Red as he's posted all kinds of information on techniques and edge geometry and he includes loads of photographs and diagrams.....

tedmagnum

Tenderfoot
Nov 19, 2006
Wirral
falcon said:
Have a search through posts by British Red as he's posted all kinds of information on techniques and edge geometry and he includes loads of photographs and diagrams.....

Thats what i have found :)

My workshop is about -2 at the moment so im not really keen on cracking my waterstones with the cold.

Something for the weekend :)

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
falcon said:
Will do thanks :)

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
tedmagnum said:
<snip>
Iv got a full set of Japanese waterstones, a DC4 combo stone and a bench grinder.

<snip>
Ted (noob) :)

:eek: Yikes!!! Keep it FAR away from the bench grinder!!!
Unless you use the SIDE of the stone(and the grinder AND the wheel have to be DESIGNED for that), a bench grinder will put a CONCAVE grind on it...

If you can afford a cheap 15 pound BELT grinder, you can take the back-plate off of it and it will work GREAT for sharpening convex edges. You can even get leather stropping belts for them...

But, do NOT practice this with that good of a knife!!! Get a thick kitchen knife and convex it and learn with it...

That knife is great, but that company tends to put too thick of a convex edge on their knives...
But that is MUCH better than too thin of an edge, because you can always thin an edge, but you have to cut a LOT of metal to thicken an edge...

Save the water stones fro scandi grinds and woodworking tools... Actually, they will work fine, but they take a lot of practice to sharpen a convex with... Mostly in forcing yourself NOT to hold a good angle while using them!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE